How to interpret the integral of the absolute value?

In summary, the conversation discusses a confusion regarding a mathematical notation and its resulting incorrect solution to a given equation. The expert suggests correcting the typo in the book and clarifies the error in the solution, providing the correct steps to solve the equation.
SeM
This is rather basic, and may be a misconception of the notation, however, I can't make the following sum up:

The following is given:

x_n(t) = 1 -nt , (if 0 <= t <= 1/n) and 0, (if 1/n < t <= 1)

However, this part I can't grasp this part in the book:

\begin{equation}
||x_n||^2 = \int_0^1 |x_n(t)|^2 dt = \frac{1}{3n}
\end{equation}

I tried it, and got a different answer, where i integrated ##|x_n(t)|^2=(1-nt)^2 = 1-2nt-n^2t^2##:

\begin{equation}
||x_n||^2 = \int_0^1 1-2nt-n^2t^2 dt = t - nt^2 -n^2t^2/3 = 1 - n - n^2/3
\end{equation}

The right answer is however given in the first integral. What did I do wrong here?

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It should be $$
||x_n||^2 = \int_0^{1/n} 1-2nt+n^2t^2 dt
$$

Last edited:
Likes Delta2 and SeM
Ok! Thanks! Then its a typo.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 566
SeM said:
That's what I thought, then either the book is wrong (which I doubt), or this is a different notation. Let me scan it and upload it here in the next reply.

Wait, how did you get books answer ?

Buffu said:
Wait, how did you books answer ?
Attached
Untitled.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 469
SeM said:
This is rather basic, and may be a misconception of the notation, however, I can't make the following sum up:

The following is given:

x_n(t) = 1 -nt , (if 0 <= t <= 1/n) and 0, (if 1/n < t <= 1)

However, this part I can't grasp this part in the book:

\begin{equation}
||x_n||^2 = \int_0^1 |x_n(t)|^2 dt = \frac{1}{3n}
\end{equation}

I tried it, and got a different answer, where i integrated ##|x_n(t)|^2=(1-nt)^2 = 1-2nt-n^2t^2##:

\begin{equation}
||x_n||^2 = \int_0^1 1-2nt-n^2t^2 dt = t - nt^2 -n^2t^2/3 = 1 - n - n^2/3
\end{equation}

The right answer is however given in the first integral. What did I do wrong here?

Thanks!
There is a sign error, since ##(1-nt)^2=1-2nt+n^2t^2## and as @Buffu said: ##||x_n||^2 = \int_0^1 = \int_0^{\frac{1}{n}}##.

Likes SeM and Buffu
fresh_42 said:
There is a sign error, since ##(1-nt)^2=1-2nt+n^2t^2## and as @Buffu said: ##||x_n||^2 = \int_0^1 = \int_0^{\frac{1}{n}}##.

Yes, I also copied the error. Now corrected it in my post.

Thanks! I have corrected it in the book. It's Kreyszig Introduction to Functional Analysis, as part of the discussions with George Jones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buffu said:
Wait, how did you get books answer ?

Hi Buffu, something is odd with the step "and the quotient" yielding the answer >n. Here I got: n/1/3n = 3n^2. but the book says differently again. It appears as an error, can you see if this is yet another error?

SeM said:
Hi Buffu, something is odd with the step "and the quotient" yielding the answer >n. Here I got: n/1/3n = 3n^2. but the book says differently again. It appears as an error, can you see if this is yet another error?

You forgot to take the square root. The integral gives norm squared; you need ratio of norms not of norms squared.

Last edited:
Likes SeM
Ah! Indeed! Thanks!

Related to How to interpret the integral of the absolute value?

What is the definition of the integral of the absolute value?

The integral of the absolute value is a mathematical concept used to find the total area under a curve that represents the absolute value function. It is denoted by ∫|x| dx and is equal to the sum of the areas above and below the x-axis.

How do you interpret the integral of the absolute value geometrically?

Geometrically, the integral of the absolute value represents the total distance traveled by a particle whose velocity is given by the absolute value function. It can also be seen as the sum of the absolute values of all the y-values of the curve.

What is the difference between the integral of the absolute value and the integral of a regular function?

The main difference is that the integral of the absolute value takes into account both positive and negative areas, while the integral of a regular function only considers positive areas. This is because the absolute value function is always positive, so the negative areas are reflected in the positive area under the curve.

How do you evaluate the integral of the absolute value?

The integral of the absolute value can be evaluated by splitting the function into different intervals based on its behavior. In each interval, the function can be simplified to a regular function and then integrated. The sum of these integrals will give the final value of the integral of the absolute value.

What are some real-world applications of the integral of the absolute value?

The integral of the absolute value has many practical applications, such as calculating the total displacement of a moving object, finding the total charge in an electric field, and determining the total distance traveled by a particle with varying velocity. It is also used in economics and finance to calculate the total profit or loss of a company.