How to install new lights in an automobile

In summary, the speaker is looking for guidance on installing decorative lights for a car using a 12V lead-acid battery and an alternator. They can tap into the power from the cigarette lighter and use a 5 amp fuse to protect the car's electrical system. They can also purchase LED lights in standard fittings and use special flashers for them. To make the lights flicker, they can use a microcontroller and PWM or delays. The speaker also suggests using a relay and microprocessor to switch the lights on and off.
Pagedown
hey everyone, I don't really know about the electrical of a car system. but i intend to need some help an guidance from you all about installing some decoration lights for an automobile.All i know the car uses a 12V lead-acid battery and has an alternator which charges up the battery when the car is moving.

1. Where to tap the power from?

2. How do i measure whether it is not overloaded?

3. How do i make my lights flicker if they were really normal LEDs? using an IC?

Engineering news on Phys.org
That is a big project, but there are some ways of making it easier.

Power can be taken from the cigarette lighter in the car and you can put a 5 amp fuse in series with the lights to protect the car's electrical system in case of a short circuit or other overload.

You can get LED lights for cars in standard fittings like the normal tail lights of a car. So, it might be easier to just use these.

See this page for examples:
http://www.ledshoponline.com/automotive_leds1157.htm#
That is just an example and you may find some near where you live.

And you can get special flashers for use with LEDs.
http://www.ledshoponline.com/electronic_flasher_cans.htm
This would flash like the indicator lights on your car, so it may not be legal because it could distract attention from the real indicator lights.

LED lights are directional, so you need to decide how you would place them to be decorative.

1. If I were to pull new cables, is it near the fuse box compartment below the steering?

2. What circuit is the flasher, is it the PWM from a microcontroller? but we need 5V from 12V to power up the uC right?
(anyway in microcontroller, why don't we use the delays to make led flicker, but we use PWM to make it flicker?)

Pagedown said:
1. If I were to pull new cables, is it near the fuse box compartment below the steering?

2. What circuit is the flasher, is it the PWM from a microcontroller? but we need 5V from 12V to power up the uC right?
(anyway in microcontroller, why don't we use the delays to make led flicker, but we use PWM to make it flicker?)

You would have to check the manual for the car to find out where the electrical connections are. You would probably find a suitable connection near the fuse board.

The flasher is unlikely to be a microprocessor. It may use a specially produced IC so that the device can be made cheaply.
You could use a relay like this:
[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/relay%20driver%202.JPG
and use a microprocessor to switch the transistor on and off.

You can use delays to turn a LED on or off, but if you want to vary brightness to other levels then you can use PWM.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How to install new lights in an automobile

1. How do I choose the right type of lights for my automobile?

The most important factor to consider when choosing new lights for your automobile is the type of bulb. Look for bulbs that are compatible with your car's make and model. You should also consider the brightness, color temperature, and energy efficiency of the lights.

2. What tools do I need to install new lights in my car?

The tools you will need may vary depending on the make and model of your car, but generally you will need a screwdriver, pliers, wire cutters, and electrical tape. It is also helpful to have a wiring diagram for your specific car.

3. Can I install new lights in my car myself?

Yes, you can install new lights in your car yourself. However, it is important to have some basic knowledge of car mechanics and electrical systems. If you are not confident in your abilities, it is best to seek professional help.

4. How do I properly wire the new lights in my car?

Before starting the wiring process, make sure to disconnect the battery to avoid any potential electrical shocks. Follow the instructions provided with the new lights and refer to your car's wiring diagram. It is important to properly connect the positive and negative wires to avoid any malfunctions.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when installing new lights in my car?

Yes, it is important to take certain safety precautions when installing new lights in your car. Always wear safety goggles and gloves to protect yourself from any potential hazards. Make sure to also disconnect the battery and handle the new lights carefully to avoid any electrical shocks.