How to inquire abt changing thread location?

• Thread starter Ouabache
  • Start date
In summary, the recommended procedure for dealing with a thread that would be a better fit under another topic is to use the "report bad post" button and state which forum the thread belongs in. If the thread is grossly misplaced, it can also be brought to the attention of the mentors through the "report bad post" button. If a mentor's PM box is full, try reaching out to another mentor. It is important to use the "report a post" button and not discourage its use, as it is a legitimate way to bring attention to problematic posts. On average, the forum receives 5-10 reported posts per day.
Ouabache
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
When you believe a thread would be a better fit under another topic but
cannot reach the moderator (pm mailbox full), what is the recommended procedure?

It was once suggested I use the [report bad post] button to quickly get a moderator or mentor's attention, but it seems that button is used only for unique circumstances. (see quote below)

This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

Physics news on Phys.org
I also have come across this problem, I just left the post and it found its way into the correct forum. I think it must take the moderators a while to spot a post in the wrong section. (No disrespect to the mods, they just have a lot of work)

Feel free to use the "report a bad post" button. In the notes, just state which forum you think the thread belongs in.

If you think that the thread is grossly misplaced, feel free to bring it to our attention through the report bad post. I think most of us check there first when we log on.

So long as it isn't abused, it's fine.

If one Mentor's PM box is full then try any other Mentor. We can all move threads to and from anywhere on the site.

Tom Mattson said:
If one Mentor's PM box is full then try any other Mentor. We can all move threads to and from anywhere on the site.
Just as an added note to that, your best bet is to first try either a mentor for the forum the post resides within or a mentor for the forum you think it should be moved to as your first choices.

Thanks for the excellent suggestions ! :smile:

It might be a good idea to reword that - we definitely don't want to discourage reporting posts for any reason. Basically, any reason why you think we should have a look at a post besides 'help, no one has answered my question' is a legitimate reason to report a post.

FYI, the whole forum only gets on the order of 5-10 reported posts a day.

russ_watters said:
It might be a good idea to reword that - we definitely don't want to discourage reporting posts for any reason. Basically, any reason why you think we should have a look at a post besides 'help, no one has answered my question' is a legitimate reason to report a post.

FYI, the whole forum only gets on the order of 5-10 reported posts a day.
I think the "report a post" is the best option. I may not be around for awhile if you pm me. When it's reported, all mentors can see it and take action, if necessary.

Related to How to inquire abt changing thread location?

1. What is the process for changing thread location?

The process for changing thread location depends on the type of thread and the specific location that needs to be changed. In general, it involves identifying the current thread location, determining the desired location, and following the appropriate steps to move the thread to the new location.

2. How do I know if I need to change thread location?

There are a few reasons why you may need to change thread location. These include changes in project requirements, changes in material availability, or changes in equipment or machinery. If you are unsure whether you need to change thread location, consult with your supervisor or a thread expert.

3. What tools or equipment do I need to change thread location?

The tools and equipment needed to change thread location will depend on the specific type of thread and the location that needs to be changed. In general, you may need a thread gauge, thread pitch gauge, thread chaser, thread cutting tool, or other specialized tools. It is important to have the correct tools and equipment to ensure a successful thread location change.

4. Can I change thread location on my own?

This depends on your level of expertise and the complexity of the thread change. If you have experience with thread cutting and are familiar with the specific type of thread, you may be able to change the thread location on your own. However, for more complex changes or if you are unsure of the process, it is best to consult with a thread expert or your supervisor.

5. How long does it take to change thread location?

The time it takes to change thread location will vary depending on the type of thread and the specific location that needs to be changed. Simple changes can be completed in a matter of minutes, while more complex changes may take several hours or even days. It is important to plan ahead and allow enough time for the thread location change to be completed accurately.