How to imagine a classical phase space for N particles?

In summary: Thanks for clarifying that!2) is what is usually called phase space and it represents the possible positions and momentum values of N particles.
Silversonic
Classically a single particle will have 3 position coordinates and 3 momentum coordinates, and so it "exists" in a 6-dimensional phase space and moves around this space in relation to time (known as the phase trajectory). However I've read that when we have N classical particles, their position/momentum coordinates represent a 6N-dimensional space.

Is this really a 6N-dimensional space? Or is it a 6 dimensional space (representing the possible momentum/position values possible) with N particles defined within that space each with their own trajectories around it?I guess what I mean, is it one of these two situations;

1) Consider two particles and ignore their momentum for now, only focusing on their x-coordinates of position. Defined by x_1 and x_2 for particles 1 and 2 respectively. Is the phase space here one-dimensional but defined for two particles? As in, do I simply have a co-ordinate axis "x" defined from minus infinity to infinity (a line) and x_1 and x_2 are placed on that coordinate axis appropriately? So if x_1 = 2, x_2 = 100, I place x_1 on 2 and x_2 on 100 on the "x" axis?or

2) The phase space is actually 2 dimensional and with "x_1" and "x_2" coordinate axes. Like an x-y plane. I place x_1 at (2,0) and x_2 at (0,100)? The value for x_1 can only move along the x_1 coordinate axis, and the value for x_2 can only move along the x_2 coordinate axis.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's 2).

1) is a possible representation of your system but not what is normally called phase space. In phase space every point corresponds to a state of the whole system, and each axis to a degree of freedom. In your example with two particles the system's state is (2,100). It's one point, not two or N.

Thanks, your post made me realize the phase space is related to the system, not the individual particles of a system themselves. Hence, as you said, a point in a 6N-dimensional phase space describes the state of a system, and consequently then describes the property of each individual particle in the system. We don't "place" each individual particle in the phase space and at a frozen moment in time observe the positions of each particle (as I assumed in example (1)), and let their individual positions in the phase space be a representation of the state of the system.

Related to How to imagine a classical phase space for N particles?

What is a classical phase space?

A classical phase space is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe the state of a physical system. It is a multidimensional space where each point represents a unique combination of position and momentum for all particles in the system.

How many dimensions does a classical phase space have?

The number of dimensions in a classical phase space depends on the number of particles in the system. For N particles, the phase space will have 6N dimensions since each particle has 3 dimensions for position and 3 dimensions for momentum.

Can a classical phase space be visualized?

Yes, a classical phase space can be visualized using a graph or plot. However, since it has a high number of dimensions, it is often difficult to visualize and is usually represented using mathematical equations and diagrams.

How does the number of particles affect the complexity of a classical phase space?

The number of particles greatly affects the complexity of a classical phase space. As the number of particles increases, the phase space becomes more intricate and difficult to analyze, making it a challenging task for scientists to study systems with a large number of particles.

What are the applications of classical phase space in science?

Classical phase space is widely used in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to study the behavior of particles in a physical system, predict their future state, and analyze complex systems such as gases, liquids, and solids.