How to identify forces of compression or tension in simple truss?

In summary, the truss problem was resolved by identifying which rod was in compression or tension. The problem was then solved by applying Newton's 3rd law of motion to find the force on the rod.
kirakun

Homework Statement

Hello. I have some troubles with a truss problem. In fact i believe i have correctly identified the direction of the forces involved in the rods, but i cannot identify which rod is in compression or which is in tension. Are there any tips/rules to identify only with a force diagram?

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9821&d=1177005673

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i have resolved forces at each joint and put a direction (of the force) in the rod so that the net force at any joint is zero (Since the system is in equilibrium).

1. Direction of force at P : Horizontally to the left.
2. Direction of force at R : Vertically upwards.
3. Direction of force at Q : Vertically downwards.
4. Direction of force at S : Horizontally to the left.

However i cannot figure the least which rods are in compression or in tension.

Likes psyche
Physics news on Phys.org
kirakun said:

Homework Statement

Hello. I have some troubles with a truss problem. In fact i believe i have correctly identified the direction of the forces involved in the rods, but i cannot identify which rod is in compression or which is in tension. Are there any tips/rules to identify only with a force diagram?

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9821&d=1177005673

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i have resolved forces at each joint and put a direction (of the force) in the rod so that the net force at any joint is zero (Since the system is in equilibrium).

1. Direction of force at P : Horizontally to the left.
2. Direction of force at R : Vertically upwards.
3. Direction of force at Q : Vertically downwards.
4. Direction of force at S : Horizontally to the left.

However i cannot figure the least which rods are in compression or in tension.
Hello kirakun. Welcome to PF !

attachment.php?attachmentid=9821&d=1177005673.jpg

It depends upon what you mean by your statements. (I hope you're not being taught to actually state the forces that way for members of the truss.)

If member, P, exerts a force on joint A of FP to the left, then member, P, is under tension and member, P, will also exert a force on the wall of FP to the right.

However, if member, P, exerts a force on the wall of FP to the left, then member, P, is under compression.

... etc.

If you remove or cut the member S, the triangle with PQ and R will rotate clockwise about the wall pin at the top. Thus B will move towards the wall, and you can conclude that S is in compression. Try similar arguments applied to the other members. On the other hand, there are also statics arguments with directions of arrows, but your question suggests that you have yet to grasp that idea. Hence my qualitative approach.

Likes atmaca0506
I see thanks both of u. This has given me greater understanding of the problem.

pongo38 said:
If you remove or cut the member S, the triangle with PQ and R will rotate clockwise about the wall pin at the top. Thus B will move towards the wall, and you can conclude that S is in compression. Try similar arguments applied to the other members. On the other hand, there are also statics arguments with directions of arrows, but your question suggests that you have yet to grasp that idea. Hence my qualitative approach.

How would you identify the members Q and R using this logic? Do we need to consider any member to be rigid, consider gravity, or only consider what is given in the free body diagram?

answer to skr999. If R is removed, how does the frame behave? A moves down and to the left with a centre at the wall support top left. Therefore AB gets smaller. Therefore R is in compression. If Q is 'removed', the quadrilateral remaining is a mechanism that will distort. Which way will it go? B will move to the right and down, because R and S together will try to be in compression in a shape that is 'pre-buckled'. Therefore length of Q gets longer. Therefore it is in tension.

Well i found a simple way for this problem. Sry for bringing this post up, but maybe those having similar problems can refer to it.

I'll just consider equilibrium of forces at point A (the rest is done similarly)

1. You have a weight w downwards, so there must be an upward force to balance it somewhere provided by two rods P or R.

2. Since O is horizontal, only R can do so. Therefore "rod R exerts a diagonal force upwards on the point A" According to Newton's 3rd law of motion, point A exerts an equal and opposite force on the rod R. Thus u have a force diagonally downwards acting on the rod. But a rod is either in compression or in tension, therefore the other end of rod R connected to point B experiences a diagonal force upwards. Thus R is in compression.

Use the same logic to find identify compression or tension.
:/ Many people don't seem to grasp this concept. Even after googling like for days, i did not see a convincing approach. I may be missing something, if so do correct me. I hope this will help people in the future.

Of course, there exists mathematical approach or resolving forces, which i saw friends doing, but i found this method much more quicker and it is a qualitative analysis.

Related to How to identify forces of compression or tension in simple truss?

1. How do I identify forces of compression or tension in a simple truss?

To identify forces of compression or tension in a simple truss, you will need to first analyze the structure and determine the direction of the applied loads. Then, you can use the method of joints or method of sections to calculate the forces acting on each member. Members that are being pulled or stretched are experiencing tension, while members that are being pushed or compressed are experiencing compression.

2. What is the difference between compression and tension forces in a truss?

Compression forces occur when a structure is being pushed or compressed, while tension forces occur when a structure is being pulled or stretched. In a truss, compression forces can cause members to buckle or collapse, while tension forces can cause members to become elongated or fail under excessive force.

3. How can I determine the magnitude of compression or tension forces in a simple truss?

The magnitude of compression or tension forces in a simple truss can be determined by using the equations of static equilibrium. These equations state that the sum of all forces in the x and y directions must be equal to zero, and the sum of all moments about any point must also be equal to zero. By setting up and solving these equations for each joint or section of the truss, you can determine the magnitude of forces acting on each member.

4. Can a truss experience both compression and tension forces?

Yes, a truss can experience both compression and tension forces. In fact, this is the main purpose of a truss structure - to distribute loads and forces evenly between its members, allowing for a more efficient and stable design. It is important to properly identify and account for both types of forces in order to ensure the safety and stability of the truss.

5. Are there any software programs or tools that can help identify forces of compression or tension in a simple truss?

Yes, there are many software programs and tools available that can aid in identifying forces of compression or tension in a simple truss. These include structural analysis software, such as SAP2000 or RISA, which use finite element analysis to calculate forces and stresses in a truss. There are also online truss calculators and apps that can provide quick estimates of forces based on the geometry and loading of a truss.