How to hook up LED to indicate battery is receiving current

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for indicating current flow in a circuit charging a 12 volt car battery using AC voltage and a full wave bridge diode. Options include using an inductive pickup, a digital ammeter, or a reed switch with a wire wrapped around it. Another option is to use a 12 volt 2 amp tail light bulb in series with the battery charger's output.
John1397
I want to charge up a 12 volt car battery with an AC voltage passing thru a full wave bridge diode and I want my LED to be on when current is being supplied to the battery terminal and if circuit stops producing current for any reason LED will be off and not on as if it where receiving current from the battery how would one wire this as I am thinking a diode at battery terminal to allow current to pass, but not return?

John

Engineering news on Phys.org
John1397 said:
I want to charge up a 12 volt car battery with an AC voltage passing thru a full wave bridge diode and I want my LED to be on when current is being supplied to the battery terminal and if circuit stops producing current for any reason LED will be off and not on as if it where receiving current from the battery how would one wire this as I am thinking a diode at battery terminal to allow current to pass, but not return?

John
The best way would be to just put a meter in the circuit. This would tell you how much current is flowing.

You can get 4 digit digital ammeters on Internet (Ebay "buy it now") that can be mounted anywhere on the panel of a battery charger.

If you wanted an indication of full charge, you could use a reed switch and wrap some turns of wire around it to make it switch with current like this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/reed%20switch.PNG

"LOAD", in this case, is the battery.

The wire would have to carry the full current of the battery charger, so it would have to be thick enough to do this. You might need about 50 turns of wire around the glass bulb of the reed switch.

Another way is to use a 12 volt 2 amp tail light bulb. Just put this in series with the output of the battery charger. With this, you can even short out the leads and the lamp will just light up without doing any damage.
The lamp will be bright on a flat battery and gradually dim as the battery charges up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How to hook up LED to indicate battery is receiving current

1. How do I hook up an LED to indicate battery is receiving current?

To hook up an LED to indicate battery is receiving current, you will need to connect the positive (anode) side of the LED to the positive terminal of the battery and the negative (cathode) side to the negative terminal. This will allow the current to flow through the LED, lighting it up to indicate the battery is receiving power.

2. What type of LED should I use to indicate battery current?

You can use any type of LED to indicate battery current, but it is recommended to use a high-intensity LED with a low voltage drop. This will ensure that the LED is bright enough to be easily visible and that it does not require a lot of power to operate.

3. Can I use a resistor with the LED to indicate battery current?

Yes, it is recommended to use a resistor in series with the LED to limit the current and prevent it from burning out. The value of the resistor will depend on the specific LED and battery voltage being used. It is important to calculate the appropriate resistor value to ensure the LED does not receive too much current.

4. How can I make the LED blink instead of staying constantly lit?

To make the LED blink, you can use a 555 timer circuit or a microcontroller to control the on/off cycle of the LED. This will require some basic electronics knowledge and circuit building skills. Alternatively, you can also purchase pre-made LED blinker modules that can easily be connected to the LED and battery.

5. Is it possible to use multiple LEDs to indicate battery current?

Yes, you can use multiple LEDs in parallel to indicate battery current. This will require a higher voltage power supply and each LED will need its own current-limiting resistor. You can also use a series-parallel combination of LEDs to achieve the desired brightness and current draw.