How to have better discrete math insight

In summary, the conversation discussed the process of having better insight in discrete math, using a specific problem as an example. The solution to the problem involved proof by contradiction and recognizing the sum of all groups as 3 times the total sum of the circle. The individual also asked for tips on how to improve problem-solving skills in discrete math, counting, and probability.
hihiip201
How to have better discrete math "insight"

Greetings:

I came a cross a textbook example in a discrete math book that I have been reading on my own, and I thought this example in the book was a good example of what I want to be good at:

Given integers from 0-9 arranged in a circle, is it true that at least one group where a group is 3 consecutive integer around the circle has a sum that is at least 14?

the solution is that using proof by contradiction, if the statement is not true then we have a sum of the total groups equals 130 at most, but then we must regconize that the sum of all groups is 3 times the total sum of the entire circle. (geo sum of 1 to 9) which is 135, hence contradiction.

my question is, suppose one have not seen this problem, how would one go about this? how would one be able to "see" that total sum of groups is just 3 times the overall circle sum? I read the solution immediately after the question so I guess I ruin the chance for myself to figure out, but I'm asking generally, for discrete math, counting, probability, what are the "healthy" thought process or creativity that would enable one to be better at devising creative and elegant solutions to these types of problems?\

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hihiip201 said:
Greetings:

I came a cross a textbook example in a discrete math book that I have been reading on my own, and I thought this example in the book was a good example of what I want to be good at:

Given integers from 0-9 arranged in a circle, is it true that at least one group where a group is 3 consecutive integer around the circle has a sum that is at least 14?

the solution is that using proof by contradiction, if the statement is not true then we have a sum of the total groups equals 130 at most, but then we must regconize that the sum of all groups is 3 times the total sum of the entire circle. (geo sum of 1 to 9) which is 135, hence contradiction.

my question is, suppose one have not seen this problem, how would one go about this? how would one be able to "see" that total sum of groups is just 3 times the overall circle sum? I read the solution immediately after the question so I guess I ruin the chance for myself to figure out, but I'm asking generally, for discrete math, counting, probability, what are the "healthy" thought process or creativity that would enable one to be better at devising creative and elegant solutions to these types of problems?\

thanks

I'm not that good at math either. You might try Polya's book how "How to Solve it" or some title like that.

hihiip201 said:
Greetings:

I came a cross a textbook example in a discrete math book

What was the mathematical topic being treated in the chapter where you found this problem? Finding a problem in a textbook is different than finding a problem in a book of miscellaneous puzzles.

Related to How to have better discrete math insight

1. What is discrete math and why is it important?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with objects that can only take on distinct, separated values. It is important because it has many real-world applications, such as in computer science, cryptography, and data analysis.

2. How can I improve my understanding of discrete math?

To have better insight into discrete math, it is important to practice solving problems and understanding key concepts. You can also seek out additional resources, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice exercises.

3. What are some common strategies for solving discrete math problems?

Some common strategies for solving discrete math problems include breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, using visualization techniques, and looking for patterns and connections between different concepts.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to excel in discrete math?

While a strong foundation in mathematics can certainly be helpful, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of advanced math concepts to excel in discrete math. Many key concepts in discrete math can be learned and applied independently.

5. How can I apply discrete math in my everyday life?

Discrete math has many real-world applications, such as in decision making, problem solving, and data analysis. It can also help improve logical reasoning skills and critical thinking abilities, which are valuable in everyday life.