How to Handle Gradient and Laplacian Commutators in Quantum Field Theory?

• Thread starter Rick89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutator
In summary, the conversation was about how to handle commutators involving gradient and laplacian operators in calculating the Hamiltonian. The suggested methods were using integration by parts and the identity [A,BC]=[A,B]C+B[A,C]. The latter was found to be more useful in the position basis calculation, as shown in the example provided.
Rick89
Hi, could someone give me a hand with the two long commutators on page 25 of Peskin and Schroeder? I'm not sure how to deal with the gradient in the first and the laplacian in the second. Thanx alot

Physics news on Phys.org
Rick89 said:
Hi, could someone give me a hand with the two long commutators on page 25 of Peskin and Schroeder? I'm not sure how to deal with the gradient in the first and the laplacian in the second.

Try integration by parts in the first one, and see how far you can get... :-)

Last edited:
sorry, I'm not sure I see what u mean. I understand how to pass from the first to the second expression of the Hamiltonian used by "integrating by parts" the grad term. But my problem is how to handle the commutators. Any more suggestion? I still can't go on, I'm probably missing something easy.
Thanx

Rick89 said:
sorry, I'm not sure I see what u mean. I understand how to pass from the first to the second expression of the Hamiltonian used by "integrating by parts" the grad term. But my problem is how to handle the commutators.

Hmmm. I'm not sure what you mean by "handle" the commutators. You can
just move them inside the integral. E.g.,

[tex]
\left[A \,,\, \int\!\! B \right] ~\to~ \int [A,B]
[/tex]

(If that wasn't your problem, you need to be more explicit...)

sorry, that was not what I meant. I meant: what is the trick to calculate commutators involving gradient and laplacian operators (for example [pi,del squared phi])? Do I treat them as operators? How do I deal with the fact that they only act on the operator immediately to the right? Is this the right way of doing these things or do I have to integrate something? Thanx

I think the easiest method may be to use the expressions in terms of ladder operators (2.27) and (2.28) and the commutators in (2.32).

Alternatively, if you want to do the calculation in the position basis as Peskin & Schroeder do, you'll find the identity [itex][A,BC]=[A,B]C+B[A,C][/itex] very useful. For example,

[tex] [\phi(\textbf{x},t),(\mathbf{\nabla}\phi(\textbf{x}',t))^2]= [\phi(\textbf{x},t),\mathbf{\nabla}\phi(\textbf{x}',t)]\cdot\mathbf{\nabla}\phi(\textbf{x}',t)+\mathbf{\nabla}\phi(\textbf{x}',t)\cdot[\phi(\textbf{x},t),\mathbf{\nabla}\phi(\textbf{x}',t)] \end{aligned} [/tex]

Where [itex][\phi(\textbf{x},t),\mathbf{\nabla}\phi(\textbf{x}',t)][/itex] can be easily calculated using (2.27).

Last edited:

Related to How to Handle Gradient and Laplacian Commutators in Quantum Field Theory?

1. What is a commutator and what is its purpose?

A commutator is a mechanical device that helps to change the direction of current flow in an electric motor. It consists of a set of copper segments connected to the ends of the armature windings, which are then connected to the brushes that make contact with the segments.

2. How does a commutator work?

When the armature rotates, the commutator segments make contact with the brushes, causing the direction of current flow to change. This allows the motor to continuously rotate in the same direction, as the commutator ensures that the current always flows through the armature windings in the same direction.

3. What are some common problems with a commutator?

One common problem with a commutator is the buildup of carbon deposits on the segments, which can cause the motor to run less efficiently or even stop working altogether. Another issue is the wear and tear of the brushes, which can lead to poor contact and a decrease in motor performance.

4. How can I maintain and clean a commutator?

To maintain a commutator, it is important to regularly clean it to remove any carbon buildup. This can be done by gently scraping the segments with a small tool such as a toothpick or using a specialized commutator cleaning tool. It is also important to regularly replace worn-out brushes to ensure good contact with the segments.

5. Can a commutator be replaced if it is damaged?

Yes, a damaged commutator can be replaced, but it is a complex and delicate process that should be done by a professional. It involves disassembling the motor, removing the old commutator, and installing a new one. It is important to also check for any underlying issues that may have caused the damage to the commutator.