Is it possible to manufacture water and how does it work?

• Thread starter Dr.Nemo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of manufacturing water and various methods for doing so, including burning hydrogen and oxygen, mixing hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide, and using electrolysis. It is also mentioned that water naturally dissociates into H+ and OH- ions, and that adding salt or acid can aid in the process of electrolysis. The concept of a "hydrogen economy" is also briefly mentioned.
I didn't know that the mixture between Hydrogen and Oxygen was flamable, i know hydrogen is flammable only with the presence of electricity though.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Loren Booda
The difference being that the gas of Julius was methane, having had a bit too much sauerkraut for his britches before an evening smoke.

Oh, the innanity!

Originally posted by dr.ununquadium
I didn't know that the mixture between Hydrogen and Oxygen was flamable, i know hydrogen is flammable only with the presence of electricity though.

Pure hydrogen isn't flammable at all. Hydrogen with oxygen is extremely flammable, explosive if the mix is right. You don't need electricty, any ignition source will do. Google "Hindenburg"

Hmmm... I thought flammable implies we are talking about "reaction with oxygen"...

Originally posted by FZ+
Hmmm... I thought flammable implies we are talking about "reaction with oxygen"...

No, I'm pretty sure flammable just means it will burn and emit flames. There are plenty of things that will burn in the absence of oxygen.

Originally posted by Chemicalsuperfreak
No, I'm pretty sure flammable just means it will burn and emit flames. There are plenty of things that will burn in the absence of oxygen.

True but flammability does have limits. Some of those limits apply to vapors. The UFL and LFL define the range of flammable concentrations for a substance in air at atmospheric pressure. The limits of flammability may be used to specify operating, storage, and materials handling procedures for a material. They are particularly useful in specifying ventilation requirements for operations involving flammable liquids and gases, correct?

Originally posted by Chemicalsuperfreak
But hydrogen isn't among them.

When something burns, it has a chemical reaction. Think about what the forumla would look like.

For something like magnesium, I've never actually learned how it burns underwater. I would guess though that it takes oxygen from the water by separating it from the hydrogen.

Last edited: