How to go to school while working full time?

• Thread starter EvilScientist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School Time
In summary,The author wants to go to college but is stuck in a difficult situation. She wants to study physics but is worried about the difficulty of getting a job in that field. She suggests starting out with a single course and thinking about why she struggled in school before deciding if going back to school is the right decision.
EvilScientist
How do I go to school while working full time? I have defaulted on my student loans from when I tried to go to school the first time. I'll be 26 in December, I haven't been to school in a long time, I am a female working in a amazon warehouse. I don't have a car, I can't drive, I ride my bike everywhere when I don't have a ride, I have ADD, I don't have hardly any money, I can hardly pay for rent, I've been homeless two times, I got no support from my abusive dad, I have no idea what to do. I want to major in physics. Ever sense I have graduated from high school I wanted to go to college. I have such a passion for mathematics and science. But in lost. I am stuck working at a job that I hate and can hardly pay my rent. I feel like there is no way out of these chains that was put around my neck. I don't know if I can pull off going back to school, working full time. My tablet is starting to malfunction. So I'll end it here. I just want to go back to school and graduate before my brain goes away.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you want to study and how far do you want to go? BS, MS, or PhD?

Why do you want to go to school again? Is it to escape your work environment? or is there another reason?

jedishrfu said:
What do you want to study and how far do you want to go? BS, MS, or PhD?

Why do you want to go to school again? Is it to escape your work environment? or is there another reason?
I would like to do it to escape my work environment. But I also just want to do something I enjoy. I'm going to work most of my life and I want to do something I enjoy and is mentally stimulating. I also would like to earn enough money so I won't struggle to pay the rent. I want to start out with a bs. I would perfer to work towards a ms. I don't know if I can pull off a PhD.

Will Amazon pay for taking a course at a time? Some employers offer that benefit.

I found this online:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joshber...ram-highlights-need-for-employee-development/

You need to really think through this as much as you like physics and science would you consider other careers like programming or something else? Its much harder to get a job in physics than it is in computer science. However, a lot of people are entering the CS field too so it will still be difficult.

It might help to try to think of things from a long term perspective.

First, rather than jump into school full time, one option might be to take a night school class or two to start off with. Physics is one of those subjects that can be romanticized though popular science books. But when you get down to the number crunching it's a different animal. Starting out with a single course could let you decide if this is really something you want to pursue for an education or just something you enjoy reading about.

Second, you'll have to figure out why you struggled with school the first time. Was it the ADD? Was it something else? What's different this time around that will allow you to be successful.

Finally, another idea might be to come up with a two or three year plan that will put you in a good position to attend school full time. The job you have now isn't cutting it. So look for something else that pays more. You might need to invest in some short term training that will get you into a job in the next six months or a year that's better than what you currently have. This might allow you to cut down your work hours so you can concentrate on school. You could also save up to pay for tuition ahead of time.

Likes vela and jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
Will Amazon pay for taking a course at a time? Some employers offer that benefit.

I found this online:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joshber...ram-highlights-need-for-employee-development/

You need to really think through this as much as you like physics and science would you consider other careers like programming or something else? Its much harder to get a job in physics than it is in computer science. However, a lot of people are entering the CS field too so it will still be difficult.
Thanks. That was really helpful! Will ask my managers.

Choppy said:

First, rather than jump into school full time, one option might be to take a night school class or two to start off with. Physics is one of those subjects that can be romanticized though popular science books. But when you get down to the number crunching it's a different animal. Starting out with a single course could let you decide if this is really something you want to pursue for an education or just something you enjoy reading about.

Second, you'll have to figure out why you struggled with school the first time. Was it the ADD? Was it something else? What's different this time around that will allow you to be successful.

Finally, another idea might be to come up with a two or three year plan that will put you in a good position to attend school full time. The job you have now isn't cutting it. So look for something else that pays more. You might need to invest in some short term training that will get you into a job in the next six months or a year that's better than what you currently have. This might allow you to cut down your work hours so you can concentrate on school. You could also save up to pay for tuition ahead of time.

I struggled the first time for multiple reasons. My ADD was my biggest issue. I am taking medicine for that now so hopefully it will be different. I also struggle with severe ocd. I am still working on that. I also couldn't go back to school when I was younger sense my dad hated driving me to school. Sense I am over 24 I can now apply for financial aid without their help. I do want to get into physics. I have studied some mathematics on my own, and have studied from real college physics textbooks. I have some idea what I'm getting into. I know I have only had a small taste of it though. Specifically I'll like to study nuclear physics bug I know over the years I might change my mind. Thank you for your reply.

Choppy said:

That is a good idea. I guess I could look into some short term training. Thank you for your reply.

jedishrfu said:

I found this online:

I just clicked on the link. That was very helpful. I am DEFINITELY going to talk to one of my managers about this.

Another good resource is Mathispower4u.com with its large collection of 10 minute videos on all of high school math upto freshman/sophomore math in college. Pretty much what you need for undergraduate physics.

It would be good to go over these videos so you're prepared when you do get to school.

Also Khan's Academy has videos on both math and physics so check them out too.

Micromass has some insight articles on this site that talk about math self-study and Zapperz has an excellent set of articles on the steps to follow from high school to graduate school and beyond to become a PhD physicist. You might as well shoot high.

Also a lot of folks start in a community college, keep up their grades and then apply to a four year school that should keep your finances in check.

You should still look into financial aid. You're not the only student who has paused a while in their schooling and then wanted to go back.

Related to How to go to school while working full time?

1. How can I balance my work schedule and school schedule?

Balancing a work schedule and a school schedule can be challenging, but it is possible with proper time management. First, make a schedule for both work and school. Prioritize your tasks and allocate time for each. Communicate with your employer and professors to discuss your schedule and any potential conflicts. It may also be helpful to take advantage of flexible work and school options, such as online classes or flexible work hours.

2. What are some tips for staying organized while working full time and going to school?

Staying organized is crucial when juggling a full-time job and school. It is important to use a planner or calendar to keep track of important deadlines and tasks. Make to-do lists and prioritize tasks based on their deadline and importance. Utilize technology, such as productivity apps, to help you stay on top of your schedule. Also, try to keep your work and school materials separate to avoid confusion and disorganization.

3. How can I manage my stress levels while working and going to school?

It's common to feel overwhelmed and stressed when trying to balance work and school. To manage stress, it is important to prioritize your mental and physical health. Make time for self-care activities, such as exercise, meditation, or spending time with loved ones. Don't be afraid to ask for help from friends, family, or a therapist if needed. Additionally, try to break tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks to avoid feeling overwhelmed.

4. Is it possible to maintain good grades while working full time and going to school?

While it may be challenging, it is possible to maintain good grades while working full time and going to school. Time management, organization, and prioritization are key. Make sure to set aside dedicated study time and utilize resources such as study groups or tutoring if needed. Communicate with your professors if you are struggling to balance your workload and they may be able to provide accommodations or extensions.

5. How can I stay motivated while working full time and going to school?

Staying motivated can be difficult when faced with a busy schedule. It is important to remember your goals and the reasons why you are pursuing both work and education. Set smaller, achievable goals for yourself and celebrate your accomplishments along the way. Surround yourself with a supportive network of friends and family who can provide encouragement and motivation. Also, take breaks and make time for activities that you enjoy to avoid burnout.