How to get x-y coord. from x-z coord. and y-z coord.?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of data from a tiltmeter which has three components (time, x, and y) as well as stations. The speaker uses Matlab to calculate the data and obtain two plots, one for time-x and one for time-y, each with a trendline. The speaker is then confused about how to calculate the x-y coordinate by removing the z component and asks for suggestions on how to address this issue. The other person suggests using a parametric plot and explains two approaches to achieve this, with the caveat that the second approach may only work if the functions are well-behaved.
Okinawa Rikenata
I have data from tiltmeter. It has 3 components (time, x, and y) and stations. I use Matlab for calculating the data (.csv) until i get some plots. I have two plots, time-x and time-y. Each plot has a trendline. So that means i have two trendlines in two plots. Assume that time is z and x is still x and y is still y (cartesian coordinate). Then i have plot x-z and y-z. I'm confused about how i can get x-y coordinate by removing that z component and calculate it in Matlab? What's the theory i can read about that problem? Thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is called parametric plot, Matlab should have functions for it.
There are two approaches to plot this:
- pick a value of z, plot the data point (x,y).
- pick a value of x, find the corresponding z, find the corresponding y, plot (x,y)

The first one always works, the second one only if the functions are sufficiently well-behaved (in particular, the found z has to be unique).

Likes Okinawa Rikenata
mfb said:
This is called parametric plot, Matlab should have functions for it.
There are two approaches to plot this:
- pick a value of z, plot the data point (x,y).
- pick a value of x, find the corresponding z, find the corresponding y, plot (x,y)

The first one always works, the second one only if the functions are sufficiently well-behaved (in particular, the found z has to be unique).

Thankyou so much!

Related to How to get x-y coord. from x-z coord. and y-z coord.?

1. What is the formula for converting x-z and y-z coordinates to x-y coordinates?

The formula for converting x-z and y-z coordinates to x-y coordinates is: x = x-z, y = y-z.

2. Can you provide an example of converting x-z and y-z coordinates to x-y coordinates?

Example: Given the x-z coordinates (2, 3) and y-z coordinates (4, 5), to convert to x-y coordinates, we simply assign the values of x-z to x and y-z to y. So the resulting x-y coordinates would be (2, 4).

3. Is it possible to convert x-y coordinates back to x-z and y-z coordinates?

Yes, it is possible to convert x-y coordinates back to x-z and y-z coordinates. Simply reverse the formula by setting x-z = x and y-z = y.

4. Can I use this formula for 3-dimensional coordinates?

No, this formula only works for 2-dimensional coordinates. For 3-dimensional coordinates, you would need to use a different formula that takes into account the z-axis.

5. Is there a specific order in which I should input the coordinates?

No, the order in which you input the coordinates does not matter as long as you consistently use the same order for all conversions.