How to get the magnitude and direction?

In summary: You find the magnitude of a vector by multiplying the magnitude of its components. In this problem, the magnitude of the horizontal component is Vi and the magnitude of the vertical component is Vy.
Ika_10
A bomb is released from an airplane flying horizontally at an elevation 1600 ft with a velocity of 294 ft/s.

I don't know how to get the magnitude. Will you please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ika_10 said:
A bomb is released from an airplane flying horizontally at an elevation 1600 ft with a velocity of 294 ft/s.

I don't know how to get the magnitude. Will you please help me?

The magnitude of what?

The magnitude of its velocity just before striking

This is a HW type problem. I have moved it to the Introductory Physics HW forum.

You should state the appropriate formulas for solving this problem and show an attempt at a solution.

What do you know about projectile motion?

We only tackled this lesson yesterday and i only remembered that this is of course a straight line motion with two kinds of motion: vertical and horizontal. The formulas for vertical are: Vy=gt, h=1/2 g(t)squared and t=Vy/g. And for horizontal are: Vi=Vx and r=Vxt.

My question a while ago is my teacher's first example so i don't have any idea of what i will going to use even he already taught the formulas.

Maybe that the formula for the magnitude will be derived from the main formulas but i don't know where's the magnitude in that formulas

Ika_10 said:
Maybe that the formula for the magnitude will be derived from the main formulas but i don't know where's the magnitude in that formulas
You've got to calculate the vertical and horizontal velocities of the bomb when it strikes the ground before you can worry about the magnitude of anything. ;)

You have to be well versed with vector. I advise you learn as much about vector as to solve problem as this and others involving displacement, velocity, acceleration and others.

Ika_10 said:
i don't know where's the magnitude in that formulas

How do you find the magnitude of a vector, in general, when you know the x and y components?

Related to How to get the magnitude and direction?

1. What is magnitude and direction?

Magnitude and direction refer to the size and orientation of a vector quantity. A vector has both magnitude (length) and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. Take the square root of the sum of the squares of the components of the vector. For example, if the vector is (3, 4), the magnitude would be √(3² + 4²) = 5.

3. How do you determine the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector can be determined using trigonometric functions. For example, if the vector is (3, 4), the direction would be the angle between the vector and the positive x-axis, which can be found using arctan(4/3) ≈ 53.13°.

4. Can a vector have a negative magnitude?

No, the magnitude of a vector is always positive. It is the length of the vector and cannot be negative.

5. How do you represent the magnitude and direction of a vector graphically?

The magnitude of a vector can be represented by the length of the vector on a graph, while the direction can be represented by the angle the vector makes with the positive x-axis.