How to get into programming with a Physics/Engineering background

In summary, the speaker is an engineer at an aerospace company who enjoys writing VBA codes/macros for stress analysis. They are considering a certificate in Data Analysis/Data Science but are unsure if there is a career that combines their background in physical sciences/physics with programming. They have a MS in Structural Engineering and a BS in Astrophysics and do not want to abandon their physics background. They are looking for advice on how to turn programming into a career and someone suggests starting with personal projects and posting them on GitHub. The speaker believes there is not much distinction between data science and engineering/physics and wants to find a job where they can apply their knowledge and thinking skills.
Ben Mercado
Hi Everybody!

I've got a job doing stress analysis as an engineer at an aerospace company. My best days are when I get to spend all day writing VBA codes/macros to automate stress analysis procedures or whatnot. I was thinking about getting a certificate in Data Analysis aka Data Science at the local University, but I'm not sure if a career melding the physical sciences/physics/engineering with lots of programming exists. If so, how do I go there from here?
The certificate program is mostly in R.
I only know how to program in VBA.
I've got a MS in Structural Engineering (Civil) and a BS in Astrophysics, and I'd rather not throw away all that physics background to start a new career in data analysis/data science.
Anyone know how I can take my engineering/physics background and turn programming from something I do on the side into something I emphasize in my career?

thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
This doesn't belong in "New Member introductions ONLY - NO QUESTIONS". I've moved this.

OK Thanks !

A data science career is more like statistics / probability and programming. Its not so much physics, although, a mathematically rigorous physics education can help a lot.

The best way to learn programming is practice. I suggest you just pick a couple of projects to do on your own (nights and weekends) and start in. Post the code on GitHub, and then you can put it on your resume. There are a lot of opportunities in easy to use data analytics / machine learning software with a GUI.

Personally, I don't see a big distinction between true data science and engineering/physics. Yes, you are not typically dealing with modeling physical systems, but a lot of the insight and math is very similar. The trick is to get a job where you are actually expected to think about the model, and not just be some software engineer blindly applying some machine learning toolbox.

Related to How to get into programming with a Physics/Engineering background

What is the best programming language for someone with a Physics/Engineering background?

The best programming language for someone with a Physics/Engineering background would depend on their specific field of interest and the type of projects they want to work on. Some commonly used programming languages in Physics and Engineering include Python, MATLAB, and C++. It is recommended to research and choose a language that is commonly used in your field of interest.

Do I need to have prior programming knowledge to get into programming with a Physics/Engineering background?

Having prior programming knowledge can be beneficial but it is not always necessary. With a strong background in Physics or Engineering, you already have a good foundation in problem-solving and critical thinking, which are important skills in programming. You can start learning coding through online courses, books, or workshops specific to your field of interest.

What are the benefits of combining Physics/Engineering and programming skills?

Combining Physics/Engineering and programming skills can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as data analysis, simulation, and modeling. It also allows you to automate repetitive tasks, increase efficiency, and improve data analysis in your research or projects.

Is it necessary to have a computer science degree to get into programming with a Physics/Engineering background?

No, it is not necessary to have a computer science degree to get into programming with a Physics/Engineering background. While a computer science degree may provide a more in-depth understanding of programming concepts, you can still learn and excel in programming through self-study and practical experience.

How can I apply my Physics/Engineering knowledge to programming?

Physics and Engineering principles such as mathematics, problem-solving, and data analysis can be directly applied to programming. Additionally, having a strong understanding of these concepts can help you pick up programming languages and techniques more easily. You can also use your knowledge to develop projects and simulations in your field of interest.