How to get average velocity: Vaverage = V1 + V2 / 2?

In summary, vector velocities are expressed as displacement/time, while scalar speeds are expressed as distance/time.
Indranil

Homework Statement

How to get Vaverage ( V ) = V1 + V2 / 2?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As I know Vaverage ( V ) = X2-X1 / t2-t1 = (delta)X / (delta) t

Physics news on Phys.org
Indranil said:
Seems reasonable. Is there a problem with what you've written?

I'd just mention that you should be using parenthesis to be sure to group the numerator terms and the denominator terms. The way you've written it without parenthesis is ambiguous...

Indranil said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Are you asking how to get that the average velocity is given by $$\bar v = \frac{v_1+v_2}{2}$$ starting from the definition $$\bar v=\frac{x_2-x_1}{t_2-t_1}~?$$

Indranil said:

Homework Equations

Absolutely not!
Consider a section of a road that is 1 mile long that goes up a hill. A driver in a car goes up the hill at an average speed of 30 miles per hour. How fast must the driver go back down the hill to have an average speed for both sections of 60 miles per hour?

The intuitive, but wrong, answer is that if the driver goes down the hill, the average speed for both sections will be 60 mph. If you work it out using the formula ##d = r \cdot t##, and solving for time t, you'll find that 90 mph isn't fast enough.
Indranil said:

As already mentioned, you need to use parentheses!
Your first formula (which is incorrect) means ##V_{ave} = V_1 + \frac {V_2} 2##, which, besides being wrong, isn't what you intended.
Your second formula means ##V_{ave} = X_2 - \frac {X_1}{t_2} - t_1##, which I'm sure isn't what you mean.

kuruman said:
Are you asking how to get that the average velocity is given by $$\bar v = \frac{v_1+v_2}{2}$$ starting from the definition $$\bar v=\frac{x_2-x_1}{t_2-t_1}~?$$
Yes you are right. I am asking the same thing.

Indranil said:
Using vector velocities or scalar speeds?

berkeman said:
Using vector velocities or scalar speeds?
both of them

Indranil said:
both of them
What differences could there be between those two different results? Can you show us some of your reading and understanding on that question? What is the difference between vector velocity and scalar speed? :smile::smile:

Mark44 said:
Absolutely not!
Consider a section of a road that is 1 mile long that goes up a hill. A driver in a car goes up the hill at an average speed of 30 miles per hour. How fast must the driver go back down the hill to have an average speed for both sections of 60 miles per hour?

The intuitive, but wrong, answer is that if the driver goes down the hill, the average speed for both sections will be 60 mph. If you work it out using the formula ##d = r \cdot t##, and solving for time t, you'll find that 90 mph isn't fast enough.As already mentioned, you need to use parentheses!
Your first formula (which is incorrect) means ##V_{ave} = V_1 + \frac {V_2} 2##, which, besides being wrong, isn't what you intended.
Your second formula means ##V_{ave} = X_2 - \frac {X_1}{t_2} - t_1##, which I'm sure isn't what you mean.
I don't understand the formula you mentioned d = r.t. Could discuss the formula I mean what does this formula mean how to use this formula and where to use this formula?

berkeman said:
What differences could there be between those two different results? Can you show us some of your reading and understanding on that question? What is the difference between vector velocity and scalar speed? :smile::smile:
Velocity = Displacement / time. It expresses both the direction and the magnitude. As it expresses direction, it's a vector quantity.
Speed = Distance / time. It expresses magnitude only. As it expresses magnitude only, it's a scalar quantity.

@Mark44: It depends on what you average over. If the two velocities are attained for the same time then you can use the simple arithmetic average. If they apply to different times (as in your example) you need a weighted average.

In general, the formula ## \bar{v}=\frac{v_i+v_f}{2} ## works for constant acceleration ## a ##, so that distance ## s=v_i t +\frac{1}{2}at^2 ## with ## v_f=v_i+at ##. This gives the result that ## \bar{v}=\frac{s}{t}=v_i+\frac{1}{2}at=v_i+\frac{1}{2}(v_f-v_i)=\frac{1}{2}(v_i+v_f) ##. ## \\ ## There may be isolated cases where it also works, but in general, it applies to constant acceleration.

Indranil said:
Still, I don't understand how to get V = (V1 + V2) / 2 ? as I know V = (X2-X1) / (t2-t1) = delta X / delta t?

You can't consider formulas in isolation, you have to consider what they describe. What is the motion you want to look at? Constant acceleration between t1 and t2? Something else?

mfb said:
You can't consider formulas in isolation, you have to consider what they describe. What is the motion you want to look at? Constant acceleration between t1 and t2? Something else?
Constant acceleration between t1 and t2

Indranil said:
Still, I don't understand how to get V = (V1 + V2) / 2 ? as I know V = (X2-X1) / (t2-t1) = delta X / delta t?
You know that under constant acceleration, ##x=v_0t+\frac{1}{2}at^2##. Write expressions for ##x_2## ad ##x_1##, take the difference and divide by ##t_2-t_1## as the expression for ##\bar v## suggests. You will need to use the velocity equation ##v=v_0+at## to eliminate terms such as ##at_2## and ##at_1##. The identity ##a^2-b^2=(a+b)(a-b)## also comes into play.

mfb said:
If they apply to different times (as in your example) you need a weighted average.
Which really was the point of my example. Also, if all you have is a couple of velocities, and don't know the times involved, then merely taking the average of the two velocities leads to an incorrect answer.

Related to How to get average velocity: Vaverage = V1 + V2 / 2?

1. What is average velocity?

Average velocity is the measure of the average rate at which an object changes its position over a specific period of time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is average velocity calculated?

The formula for average velocity is Vaverage = V1 + V2 / 2, where V1 is the initial velocity and V2 is the final velocity. This formula assumes that the object is moving at a constant rate during the given time period.

3. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the overall rate of change of an object's position over a specific period of time, whereas instantaneous velocity is the rate of change of an object's position at a specific moment in time. Instantaneous velocity takes into account any changes in speed or direction that may have occurred during the given time period.

4. How is average velocity useful in science?

Average velocity is a crucial concept in physics, as it allows scientists to analyze the motion of objects and make predictions about their future behavior. It is also used in many other scientific fields, such as chemistry, biology, and engineering.

5. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity. This means that the object is moving towards its starting point, rather than away from it. Negative average velocity is denoted by a negative sign in front of the value.