How to get Ahead of the class ?

• Thread starter EMFsmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the conversation suggests that the best way to prepare for an Access course in physics is to familiarize oneself with the syllabus and major topics beforehand. Additionally, utilizing resources such as MIT's opencourseware and Khan Academy can help in gaining a deeper understanding of the material before taking the course.
EMFsmith
How to get "Ahead of the class"?

Hello

Im starting an Access course to physics in september and would like to know what I can be doing to put me in a better position for when i start.

I intend on going on to Ph.D level but have no A levels in maths or Physics so i have to start somewhere academically, any websites or books you can recommend that will set me on the right would be great.

I have previously studied Electrical Engineering so have touched on many mathematical principals but these were were never built on in my classes, so starting with the fundamentals would be best.

Thanks for any information.

Chris

Physics news on Phys.org

Start working on the courses you plan on taking! Read through the syllabus and gain a little bit of familiarity in all the major topics so you are not surprised when you actually take the courses. I do that, and once I have an idea of what everything is about I go through sites like MIT's opencourseware and the Khan Academy to start learning it in detail from the beginning. When you actually take the course, you will be able to easily identify with the concepts, and thus have more time to actually practice and learn.

Related to How to get Ahead of the class ?

1. How can I improve my study habits to get ahead of the class?

To improve your study habits and get ahead of the class, it is important to create a schedule and stick to it. This will help you stay organized and on track with your studies. Additionally, find a study method that works best for you, whether it be flashcards, taking notes, or using study guides. Make sure to also set aside dedicated study time each day and avoid distractions.

2. What are some effective strategies for understanding and retaining information?

One effective strategy for understanding and retaining information is to actively engage with the material. This can include taking notes, summarizing key points, and asking questions. It can also be helpful to create visual aids or use mnemonic devices to remember important information. Regular review and practice also aid in retaining information.

3. How can I stay motivated and focused throughout the semester?

Staying motivated and focused throughout the semester can be challenging, but setting goals and rewarding yourself for achieving them can help. It is also important to take breaks and engage in activities that you enjoy to avoid burnout. Surrounding yourself with a supportive study group or seeking help from a tutor can also keep you motivated and on track.

4. What can I do if I am struggling in a particular subject or class?

If you are struggling in a particular subject or class, do not be afraid to seek help. This can include talking to your teacher or professor, attending tutoring sessions, or forming a study group with classmates. It is also important to identify and address any underlying issues that may be impacting your performance, such as time management or test anxiety.

5. How can I balance my academic workload with extracurricular activities?

Balancing academic workload with extracurricular activities requires effective time management skills. Prioritize your responsibilities and make a schedule that allows for both studying and participating in extracurricular activities. It is also important to communicate with your teachers and coaches to ensure you are meeting academic and extracurricular commitments.