Potential energy of solids in tension question

In summary, the conversation discusses a confusion regarding the interatomic potential energy in a solid material. The graph shows that when the material is placed in tension, the bonds break and potential energy becomes zero. However, when the material is placed in compression, the graph suggests that potential energy also reaches zero, causing confusion for the individual. They question whether this is correct or if they are misunderstanding the concept.
beckett
Hi folks and happy new year,

As usual i have been leafing through some old physics books and have stumbled across something that has confused me, wonder if you can help. Having looked at a 'classical' graph of interatomic potential energy against distance within a solid and how it relates to hookes law etc i realize that it doesn't completely make sense to me:

potential
|
| x
| x
| x
| x
| x
|----x(0)-------------------x(0)--------- distance
| x xxxxxxxxxx
| x xxx
| x x
| x x
| x
|
|

From this poor representation the book described the fact that when the material is placed in tension, eventually the bonds break and there is zero potential. This makes sense. What is confusing me is when i imagine the material being placed in compression because according to the graph it suggests that by doing this you can also reach zero potential. The more i think about this the more i get confused. If i imagine stretching a piece of elastic, the potential energy must increase as the graph suggests but at the same time it tends towards zero i.e the elastic snaps?? Please help me here or am i being really stupid??

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry folks, looks like the ASCII art didn't come out as i had drawn it. Have a look at the attached image if your interested, cheers.

Attachments

• potential.gif
    potential.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 580

What is potential energy of solids in tension?

Potential energy of solids in tension refers to the energy stored in a solid material when it is stretched or pulled. This energy is stored in the bonds between atoms and molecules within the material.

How is potential energy of solids in tension calculated?

The potential energy of solids in tension is calculated using the formula PE = 1/2*k*x^2, where PE is potential energy, k is the spring constant of the material, and x is the amount of deformation or displacement.

What factors affect the potential energy of solids in tension?

The potential energy of solids in tension is affected by the material's elasticity, the amount of deformation or displacement, and the strength of the bonds between atoms and molecules within the material.

How does potential energy of solids in tension relate to stress and strain?

Potential energy of solids in tension is directly related to stress and strain. When a material is stretched, it experiences both stress (force per unit area) and strain (change in length per unit length). The potential energy of the material increases as the stress and strain increase.

What are some real-world applications of potential energy of solids in tension?

Potential energy of solids in tension has many practical applications, such as in the design of bridges, buildings, and other structures. It is also important in the development of materials for use in industries such as aerospace and automotive, where strength and elasticity are crucial factors.