How to find where an ellipse is centered

• Thread starter prosoccer747
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ellipse
In summary, the conversation is about finding the center of an ellipse with the equation x^2+(y^2/4)=1. The original ellipse equation ((x - h)^2 / a^2 + (y - k)^2 / b^2 = 1) suggests that the center is at (h,k), but the options for the answers do not include (0,0). The meaning of "not available" is clarified as the letter o being used instead of the number 0. The correct center for this ellipse is at (0,0) and problems like this should be posted in the Homework and Coursework section.
prosoccer747
My equation is x^2+(y^2/4)=1

I need to find where it is centered. I thought that from the original ellipse equation ((x - h)^2 / a^2 + (y - k)^2 / b^2 = 1) that the center is at (h,k). But in the options for my answers, (o,o) is not available. Am i missing something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
My equation is x^2+(y^2/4)=1
I need to find where it is centered. I thought that from the original ellipse equation ((x - h)^2 / a^2 + (y - k)^2 / b^2 = 1) that the center is at (h,k). But in the options for my answers, (o,o) is not available. Am i missing something here?
What is the meaning of "not available" ?
Definitively (0,0) is the center of the ellipse x^2+(y^2/4)=1

Are you entering (o, o)? That's what your post shows, and you should not be using the letter o/O in place of the number 0. The center of this ellipse is at (0, 0), but if you enter (o, o) as your answer, the computer program/Web page probably won't recognize this as a valid answer.

Also, you should be entering problems like this in the Homework and Coursework section, not in the Mathematics section.

Related to How to find where an ellipse is centered

1. What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a geometric shape that resembles a flattened circle. It is defined as the set of all points in a plane, the sum of whose distances from two fixed points (called the foci) is a constant.

2. How do you find the center of an ellipse?

The center of an ellipse is the midpoint of its major axis, which is the longest diameter of the ellipse. To find the center, you can use a ruler to measure the length of the major axis and then divide it by 2. The resulting value will be the distance from the center to either of the foci.

3. Can you find the center of an ellipse with only two points?

No, you need at least three points to uniquely determine the center of an ellipse. The two points can be used to construct the major axis, but without a third point, the minor axis (the shortest diameter of the ellipse) cannot be determined and therefore the center cannot be found.

4. Are there any other methods for finding the center of an ellipse?

Yes, another method is to use the equation of the ellipse. The general form of the equation is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse and a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively. By rearranging the equation and solving for (h,k), you can find the coordinates of the center.

5. Can the center of an ellipse be outside of the ellipse?

No, the center of an ellipse will always lie within the ellipse. This is because the center is defined as the midpoint of the major axis, and the major axis is always contained within the ellipse. If the center lies outside of the ellipse, then the shape is not an ellipse.