How to find wavelength with only distance

• Thread starter PhizKid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelength
In summary: So the wavelength is actually twice the distance between two nodes. In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the value of x using the wavelength of air in a metal rod attached to a tube with both closed ends. The frequency of the metal is the same as the frequency in air, so the wavelength of air can be found using the equation: frequency = velocity / wavelength. The wavelength in air is equal to half the distance between two nodes, and the wavelength in metal is twice the distance between two nodes.
PhizKid

Homework Statement

zekp8kV.png

A metal rod attached to a tube with both closed ends is stimulated to create waves inside the tube.

If:
L = 1.0 m
d = 0.05 m
Speed of sound in air = 340 m/s
Speed of sound in metal = 1,000 m/s

Calculate the value of x using the wavelength of air.

Homework Equations

Frequency = Velocity / Wavelength

The Attempt at a Solution

The frequency of the the metal is the same as the frequency in air, so:

1,000 / (2*1.0) = 340 / wavelength of air

Because the wavelength of the metal is 2 * L.

340 / 500 = wavelength of air
0.68 = wavelength of air

How do I calculate wavelength with only the distance between two nodes (d)? I need x from wavelength according to the problem's instructions so I have to work backwards but I don't know any formulas for this one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PhizKid said:
How do I calculate wavelength with only the distance between two nodes (d)?

Wavelength is the distance between two nearest nodes = d. Can you clarify what you are trying to find?

voko said:
Wavelength is the distance between two nearest nodes = d. Can you clarify what you are trying to find?

I thought the wavelength was the distance between 3 nodes, since between two nodes is only half the cycle. This is where I'm confused...is the wavelength between two nodes, or is the wavelength between 3 successive nodes? Because I thought the distance between two nodes only completed half the cycle.

Sorry, you are right. What I meant to say was distance between two crests, which is what the diagram shows, I think.

Wavelength.jpg

Related to How to find wavelength with only distance

1. How do I calculate the wavelength of a wave with only the distance?

To calculate the wavelength of a wave with only the distance, you can use the formula λ = d/n, where λ is the wavelength, d is the distance, and n is the number of cycles or waves. This formula assumes that the distance is measured in meters and the wavelength will also be in meters.

2. Can I find the wavelength of any type of wave with only the distance?

Yes, this formula can be used to calculate the wavelength of any type of wave, including electromagnetic waves and sound waves. However, it is important to note that the distance should be measured in the same units as the wavelength.

3. Is it possible to find the wavelength without knowing the frequency?

No, the formula for calculating wavelength with only distance requires the frequency (or number of waves) to be known. If you do not know the frequency, you will not be able to accurately calculate the wavelength.

4. Can I use this formula to calculate the wavelength of a wave with a known period?

Yes, if you know the period (T) of the wave, you can use the formula λ = vT, where v is the speed of the wave. This formula can be used to calculate the wavelength even if the frequency is not known.

5. Is there a more accurate way to find the wavelength of a wave with only the distance?

If you have access to equipment such as an oscilloscope or a spectrometer, you can use these tools to directly measure the wavelength of a wave. However, if you only have the distance and do not have access to specialized equipment, the formula mentioned above is the most accurate way to calculate the wavelength.