How to find this spin component

In summary, the author is saying that an S_x measurement would yield +hbar/2, and that to find this state, you would impose the eigenvalue +hbar/2 and solve for alpha and beta.
indigojoker
We know that [tex] S_x = \frac{\hbar}{2} \left( |+ \rangle \langle - | + | - \rangle \langle+| \right)[/tex]

But what is [tex]|S_x ; + \rangle[/tex]?

I think my text says [tex]|S_x ; + \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( |+ \rangle + | - \rangle \right)[/tex] but i don't know how they got this.

I feel like this is a trivial question but I'm not sure how one finds [tex]|S_x ; + \rangle[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
But WHAT is [itex] |S_{x},+\rangle [/itex] ?? I've never seen this notation before...And it's not that I've looked into one book...:rolleyes: I haven't looked in your book, apparently, you might share with us the title and the author...

I imagine that it's the positive spin direction for S_x.

OP: it's just an eigenvector -- so you find it in the same way that you find any eigenvectors. If it helps, write S_x as a matrix, in the |+>, |-> basis that you've got things in.

I just figured it out.

I am using * as the dot product

[tex]S * \hat n | S * \hat n ; + \rangle = \frac{ \hbar}{2} | S * \hat n ; + \rangle [/tex]
[tex]| S * \hat n ; + \rangle = \cos \frac{\beta}{2} |+ \rangle + \sin \frac{\beta}{2} e^{i \alpha} | - \rangle [/tex]

where beta is the polar angle and alpha is the azimuthal angle.

therefore, an S_x measurement would be where beta = pi/2 and alpha =0

since the S_x measurement would yield +hbar/2, we get:

[tex]| S_x; + \rangle = \cos \frac{\pi/2}{2} |+ \rangle + \sin \frac{\pi/2}{2} e^{0} | - \rangle [/tex]

therefore:
[tex]|S_x ; + \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( |+ \rangle + | - \rangle \right)[/tex]

Last edited:
indigojoker said:
We know that [tex] S_x = \frac{\hbar}{2} \left( |+ \rangle \langle - | + | - \rangle \langle+| \right)[/tex]

But what is [tex]|S_x ; + \rangle[/tex]?

I think my text says [tex]|S_x ; + \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( |+ \rangle + | - \rangle \right)[/tex] but i don't know how they got this.

I feel like this is a trivial question but I'm not sure how one finds [tex]|S_x ; + \rangle[/tex]

They want the state which is an eigenstate of Sx with the eigenvalue +hbar/2.

So you could write [tex]|S_x ; + \rangle = \alpha
|+ \rangle + \beta |-
\rangle [/tex]

and apply S_x, imposing [itex] S_x |S_x; + > = \frac{\hbar}{2} |S_x;+> [/itex] and then solve for alpha and beta (and normalize at the end)

Related to How to find this spin component

1. How do I determine the spin component of an atom?

The spin component of an atom can be determined by using the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two electrons in an atom can have the same set of quantum numbers. By knowing the number of electrons in each shell and their respective quantum numbers, the spin component can be calculated.

2. What is the significance of spin components in quantum mechanics?

Spin components are essential in quantum mechanics as they play a crucial role in determining the properties and behavior of particles, such as electrons, in atoms. They also help in understanding the magnetic properties of materials and the spin of particles in various physical phenomena.

3. How do I find the spin component of a subatomic particle?

The spin component of a subatomic particle can be found by using its spin quantum number, which is a fundamental property of the particle. This number represents the intrinsic angular momentum of the particle and can be determined through experiments and theoretical calculations.

4. Can the spin component of an atom be changed?

No, the spin component of an atom cannot be changed as it is an intrinsic property of the atom's electrons. However, the spin of individual electrons can be altered by external factors such as magnetic fields.

5. How does the spin component affect the chemical properties of an atom?

The spin component of an atom affects its chemical properties by determining the energy levels and stability of its electrons. It also plays a role in the formation of chemical bonds and the reactivity of atoms in different types of chemical reactions.