How to find the Trajectory of a Particle

In summary: I divide both sides by y?No, you don't need to divide by y. You have already solved for x in terms of y and d y/dt = 5.
PKM

Homework Statement

The velocity of a particle at a certain point is given as [itex]
\vec v=5(y\hat i - x\hat j)[/itex]. How to find the general equation of the path of the particle?

Homework Equations

Here, [itex]\frac{d\vec x}{dt}=5(y\hat i - x\hat j)[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

As the velocity is not given as a function of time, but that of position, how may I proceed? Plese help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have is a differential equation for the position as a function of time. If you write out the components of your differential equation separately, what do you get?

Orodruin said:
What you have is a differential equation for the position as a function of time. If you write out the components of your differential equation separately, what do you get?
Sorry, I didn't get it properly, Sir. The differential equation may be framed as [itex]\frac{d\vec x}{y\hat i-x\hat j}=5dt[/itex]. Is it what you are suggesting? Please clarify.

No. You cannot divide by a vector! Just write out the different components. How do ##\vec x## and ##d\vec x/dt## look in components?

Orodruin said:
No. You cannot divide by a vector! Just write out the different components. How do ##\vec x## and ##d\vec x/dt## look in components?
OK, we take [itex]\vec x=x\hat i+y\hat j[/itex]. Also, [itex]x[/itex] comp. of velocity, [itex]v_x=5y[/itex], and, [itex]v_y=-5x[/itex]. What may I do next? It follows that [itex]\frac{dx}{y}=5dt[/itex]. Again, [itex]\frac{dy}{x}=-5dt[/itex]. It yields, after some manipulations, [itex]x^2+y^2=constant[/itex]. That means that the trajectory is a circle in fact, centred at the origin.
Is my process correct?

Last edited:
PKM said:
OK, we take [itex]\vec x=x\hat i+y\hat j[/itex]. Also, [itex]x[/itex] comp. of velocity, [itex]v_x=5y[/itex], and, [itex]v_y=-5x[/itex]. What may I do next? It follows that [itex]\frac{dx}{y}=5dt[/itex]. How may I integrate this? Please help
To stop you going round in circles, why not differentiate the equations again.

PeroK said:
To stop you going round in circles, why not differentiate the equations again.
Which eqns do you mean? Is it [itex]d\vec x/dt=5(y\hat i-x\hat j)[/itex]?

PKM said:
Which eqns do you mean? Is it [itex]d\vec x/dt=5(y\hat i-x\hat j)[/itex]?
Yes, but it is hard to work with that because two different notations are being used for vectors. Write ##\vec x## in terms of ##\hat i## and ##\hat j##.

haruspex said:
Yes, but it is hard to work with that because two different notations are being used for vectors. Write ##\vec x## in terms of ##\hat i## and ##\hat j##.
Yeah, I've hit this method. Please see post #5. Is it worth what I've done?

PKM said:
Yeah, I've hit this method. Please see post #5. Is it worth what I've done?
Ah, I didn't read PeroK's remark with sufficient context.

You differentiated once and got an equation with ##\dot x## and y, and another with ##\dot y## and x.
Try differentiating each a second time. Can you now get an equation involving x and its derivatives but no mention of y?

haruspex said:
Ah, I didn't read PeroK's remark with sufficient context.

You differentiated once and got an equation with ##\dot x## and y, and another with ##\dot y## and x.
Try differentiating each a second time. Can you now get an equation involving x and its derivatives but no mention of y?
Let's see. I get [itex]\ddot x=-25\dot x[/itex], and [itex]\ddot y=-25\dot y[/itex].
Okay, these two fine differential equations should represent the trajectory, I suppose? Now, what should be the shape of the path?
Is my process in Post #5 is acceptable?

PKM said:
Let's see. I get [itex]\ddot x=-25\dot x[/itex], and [itex]\ddot y=-25\dot y[/itex].
Okay, these two fine differential equations should represent the trajectory, I suppose? Now, what should be the shape of the path?
Is my process in Post #5 is acceptable?
Please show how you got there and not just the final result you got. It is impossible to identify where you have gone wrong if you don't.

PKM said:
You have made a mistake somewhere. If you cannot find it, please post your working.

PeroK said:
To stop you going round in circles
:DD

Orodruin said:
your process in #5 is not correct as it leads to false conclusions
Does it? The circular motion looks right to me.

haruspex said:
Does it? The circular motion looks right to me.
Yes, I deleted that already.

Orodruin said:
Please show how you got there and not just the final result you got. It is impossible to identify where you have gone wrong if you don't.
Okay, I better show the way I've reached the conclusion of Post #5.
I get [itex]\frac{dx}{y}=5dt[/itex] and [itex]\frac{dy}{x}=-5dt[/itex]. From these results, I concluded that [itex]\frac{dx}{y}=-\frac{dy}{x}[/itex](?), Or,[itex]xdx+ydy=0[/itex]. Hence it follows that [itex]x^2+y^2=constant[/itex].
I have a confusion with the step marked (?). Is is acceptable?

It is correct yes. However, it does not tell you what ##x## and ##y## are as functions of ##t##. It only tells you that the motion is in a circle. Can you think of a way to parametrise ##x^2 + y^2 = R^2##?

haruspex said:
You have made a mistake somewhere. If you cannot find it, please post your working.
Oh, I had blotched it! It should have been [itex]\ddot x=-25x[/itex], and [itex]\ddot y=-25y[/itex]. It represents SHM.

Last edited:
Orodruin said:
It is correct yes. However, it does not tell you what ##x## and ##y## are as functions of ##t##. It only tells you that the motion is in a circle. Can you think of a way to parametrise ##x^2 + y^2 = R^2##?
The parametric eqns of the circle may be [itex]x=R\cos \theta, y=R\sin \theta[/itex].
Then?

Yes, then what? What is ##\theta## as a function of ##t##?

Orodruin said:
Yes, then what? What is ##\theta## as a function of ##t##?
Of course, [itex]\theta =\omega t[/itex]. If the particle has constant speed, then [itex]\omega[/itex] is the angular velocity. Therefore the eqn of the x-coordinate of the particle is [itex]x=R\cos (\omega t)[/itex], or simple harmonic, isn't it?

PKM said:
Of course, [itex]\theta =\omega t[/itex].
You need to show that this is the case. You cannot just assume it.

If the particle has constant speed, then [itex]\omega[/itex] is the angular velocity. Therefore the eqn of the x-coordinate of the particle is [itex]x=R\cos (\omega t)[/itex], or simple harmonic, isn't it?
What makes you think that the particle has constant speed? (It has, but you need to argue for this!)

Orodruin said:
You need to show that this is the case. You cannot just assume it.What makes you think that the particle has constant speed? (It has, but you need to argue for this!)
I find it quite simple to account for.
The magnitude of the velocity of the particle, at any point is, [itex]\sqrt {x^2+y^2}=R[/itex] (follows from the given velocity of the particle). That suggests that it is constant.
Moreover, as the speed is constant, ##\theta## must equal to ##\omega t##.

I feel this method very fine, but we may reach at the same conclusion through calculus method (as suggested by Mr haruspex). Ref. Post #19.

Last edited:

Related to How to find the Trajectory of a Particle

1. What is the definition of trajectory?

Trajectory refers to the path or trajectory that an object follows through space or time.

2. How do you calculate the trajectory of a particle?

To calculate the trajectory of a particle, you need to know its initial position, velocity, and acceleration. You can use equations of motion, such as the kinematic equations, to calculate the position of the particle at any given time.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a particle?

The trajectory of a particle can be affected by several factors, including its initial velocity, acceleration due to external forces, and any changes in the environment, such as air resistance or gravity. Additionally, the shape and mass of the particle can also impact its trajectory.

4. Is there a difference between the trajectory of a particle in a vacuum versus a non-vacuum environment?

Yes, there is a difference. In a vacuum, there is no air resistance, so the particle will follow a parabolic path. In a non-vacuum environment, the presence of air resistance will cause the particle to deviate from its original trajectory.

5. Can the trajectory of a particle be predicted accurately?

The trajectory of a particle can be predicted accurately if all the relevant factors, such as initial conditions and external forces, are known and accounted for in calculations. However, unpredictable factors, such as wind or turbulence, can also affect the trajectory and make it difficult to predict with absolute accuracy.