How to find the root of a quadratic formula

The restrictions on posting questions for academic credit apply ONLY to questions that are part of an academic program leading to a degree or an equivalent certification. Questions from researchers and graduate students are welcome. In fact, we encourage technical discussions to take place among graduate students, who will naturally have some homework questions, and researchers who will have very interesting questions.In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of K for which a quadratic equation has a repeated root. The quadratic formula is used to solve the equation and determine the value of K. The conversation also discusses choosing a value for K to prove that the equation has no real roots. The forum rules do not allow for answers to be given without the student showing their work first.
druuuuuuuunnk

Homework Statement

(A) For what value of K does the equation 2x^2-10x +8 = K have a repeated root? Use the quadratic formula to find the root.

(B) Choose a value for K so the equation has no real roots, Use the quadratic formula to prove that this equation has no real roots for your chosen value for K.

this is a question i was given and to be honest i am stumped, i understand what a root is, but I am unsure of how to find a repeated root. any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the quadratic formula? What would have to be the value of b2-4ac to have a repeated root?

the formula above is the quadratic formula for both (A) and (B)

y=2x^2-10x+8

No, the quadratic formula is a way to solve (i.e., find the solutions of) ax2+bx+c = 0

this is the whole question i was given.

2 a) draw the graph of the quadratic y=2x^2-10x+8

2 b) solve the equation 2x^2-10x+8=K when K=0

2 c) For what value of K does the equation 2x^2-10x +8 = K have a repeated root? Use the quadratic formula to find the root.

2 d) Choose a value for K so the equation 2x^2-10x +8 = K has no real roots, Use the quadratic formula to prove that this equation has no real roots for your chosen value for K.

does that help at all?

druuuuuuuunnk, you will have to change to soooooooober so that you can think about solving this problem.

druuuuuuuunnk said:
this is the whole question i was given.

2 a) draw the graph of the quadratic y=2x^2-10x+8

2 b) solve the equation 2x^2-10x+8=K when K=0

2 c) For what value of K does the equation 2x^2-10x +8 = K have a repeated root? Use the quadratic formula to find the root.

2 d) Choose a value for K so the equation 2x^2-10x +8 = K has no real roots, Use the quadratic formula to prove that this equation has no real roots for your chosen value for K.

does that help at all?

SO have you done part (a) - it would be useful to factorise the quadratic in order to do that.

Ok, I see where the confusion is. You might want to look at the part of the link that is called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratic_equation" .

Then, the question is asking, for what value of K does the quadratic formula give repeated roots?

Last edited by a moderator:
Check in your textbook for the difference between "a quadratic equation" and "the quadratic formula".

A quadratic can have two roots, or no roots. (Or to put it more exactly: two real roots, or no real roots.)

If the real roots are equal, then this can be referred to has having a repeated root. So all you need to do is determine that value of K which causes there to be zero difference between the two roots.

Last edited:
ok so I've been doing some reading, i now know that i use the quadratic forumla to solve the quadratic equation in part B. i got x=4 and x=1

for part C, do i change the quadratic equation 2x^2-10x+8=K. by this i mean do i need to make it 3x^2-11x+9=K or somthing like that, until i find a equation that has two roots which are the same?

im not going to lie to you guys, once I've done this maths course work i pass my year and i never have to do maths at this level again. I am doing product design at university. its basically just drawing lol.

Im terrible at maths, my uni are making me do a foundation year or maths and physics, they are not my strong points, if you could just tell me the answer i would appriate it, this course works in for tomorrow and its worth 50% of my final grade. if i get 80% of this course work right i pass the year.

druuuuuuuunnk said:
for part C, do i change the quadratic equation 2x^2-10x+8=K. by this i mean do i need to make it 3x^2-11x+9=K or somthing like that, until i find a equation that has two roots which are the same?
No. You move the K to the other side, and let c = 8 - K in the quadratic formula. You'll notice that in order for you to have a repeated root, the expression underneath the square root, b2 - 4ac, must equal 0. Look up discriminant.

druuuuuuuunnk said:
Im terrible at maths, my uni are making me do a foundation year or maths and physics, they are not my strong points, if you could just tell me the answer i would appriate it, this course works in for tomorrow and its worth 50% of my final grade. if i get 80% of this course work right i pass the year.
No, we're not allowed to just give the answers. You need to show the work to us first, and then we help you. That's the forum rules.

druuuuuuuunnk said:

From the forum rules (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380):

Homework Help
On posting questions: Any and all high school and undergraduate homework assignments or textbook style exercises for which you are seeking assistance are to be posted in the appropriate forum in our Homework & Coursework Questions area--not in blogs, visitor messages, PMs, or the main technical forums. This should be done whether the problem is part of one's assigned coursework or just independent study. The reason for this is that the scientific and mathematical sections of Physics Forums are to be reserved for discussions and not academic assistance. Since graduate level assignments are meant to be more thought provoking (and hence more worthy of discussion), graduate level questions will be allowed in the relevant part of the main section of PF, provided that the graduate student attempts the problem and shows his work.

NOTE: You MUST show that you have attempted to answer your question in order to receive help. You MUST make use of the homework template, which automatically appears when a new topic is created in the homework help forums. Once your question or problem has been responded to, do not go back and delete (or edit) your original post.

We do not support cheating in any form: Do not ask for solution manuals, answers to exams, or instructor's manuals. Every school and instructor has their own policies or honor codes on what constitutes cheating, and it is up to the individual student to adhere to those policies when seeking help here. If you are in doubt as to whether you are permitted to seek help, consider erring on the side of caution and not asking for help.

On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made.

it was worth a try :P

Well, it should have occurred to you that people who frequent mathematics sites are probably not going to help someone avoid learning mathematics- and that is what you are saying you want to do.

Related to How to find the root of a quadratic formula

1. What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is a mathematical formula used to find the roots of a quadratic equation, which is an equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0. The roots of a quadratic equation are the values of x that make the equation equal to 0.

2. How do I use the quadratic formula to find the roots?

To use the quadratic formula, plug in the values of a, b, and c from your equation into the formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. Simplify the equation and you will get two possible values for x, which are the roots of the quadratic equation.

3. When should I use the quadratic formula?

You should use the quadratic formula when you have a quadratic equation that cannot be easily factored. This is often the case when the equation has non-integer or complex solutions.

4. What does the ± symbol in the quadratic formula mean?

The ± symbol in the quadratic formula indicates that there are two possible solutions for x, one with a positive sign and one with a negative sign. This is because a quadratic equation can have two roots.

5. Can I use the quadratic formula for any quadratic equation?

Yes, the quadratic formula can be used to find the roots of any quadratic equation, regardless of the values of a, b, and c. However, if the equation can be easily factored, it may be quicker to use factoring instead of the quadratic formula.