How to Find the Ratio of Areas in a Scalene Triangle?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a math problem involving finding the area of a triangle and coming up with a solution that is not too complicated. The person seeking help has already solved the problem but is not satisfied with their method and is looking for a simpler alternative. They share their approach, which involves using a formula from a website and setting up equations with multiple variables. Another person suggests showing their work and providing a sample plot with labels in Latex format.
songoku
Homework Statement
The vertices of triangle ABC are A (p,q), B (r, s), C (u, v). Given that those points fulfill equation 2p + 3r + 4u = 0 and 2q + 3s + 4v = 0 and the origin lies in the interior of the triangle. If area of OBC = r times of ABC, find r
Relevant Equations
Not sure
I do not know where to start. I draw scalene triangle and assign each coordinates to the vertices. Tried writing something but none working. Please give me a hint to start.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you attach a PDF or JPEG file with your sketch in it please? And please show as much of your work as you can. Thanks.

Likes songoku
berkeman said:
Can you attach a PDF or JPEG file with your sketch in it please? And please show as much of your work as you can. Thanks.

I think I get it. Thank you very much berkeman

Likes berkeman
songoku said:
I think I get it. Thank you very much berkeman
Am I to understand you solved it and are done? If so then I would like to know if there is a simpler way of solving it than what I did. My solution is not simple. I can show my work if that is not interfering with forum policies.

aheight said:
Am I to understand you solved it and are done? If so then I would like to know if there is a simpler way of solving it than what I did. My solution is not simple. I can show my work if that is not interfering with forum policies.
He has to show his correct solution before we can suggest any alternatives. :smile:

aheight said:

Yes I solved it but I don't think my method is simple. I use formula from this link https://sciencing.com/area-triangle-its-vertices-8489292.html

I set up equation using information area ABC = r . Area OBC (the equation has a lot variables p, q, r, s u, v) then using another two equations given from question (I make p and q as subject) I substitute them to equation of area. Basically I use brute force to solve it 😅

songoku said:
I set up equation using information area ABC = r . Area OBC (the equation has a lot variables p, q, r, s u, v) then using another two equations given from question (I make p and q as subject) I substitute them to equation of area. Basically I use brute force to solve it 😅

Kindly provide a summary of your work including a sample plot with labels. Nicely formatted in Latex would be nice too.:cool:

Likes berkeman
Document_1.jpg

Related to How to Find the Ratio of Areas in a Scalene Triangle?

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a triangle?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle is A = 1/2 * base * height, where A represents the area, the base is the length of one side of the triangle, and the height is the perpendicular distance from the base to the opposite vertex.

2. How is the ratio of the area of a triangle calculated?

The ratio of the area of a triangle is calculated by dividing the area of one triangle by the area of another triangle. This ratio can be expressed as a fraction or a decimal.

3. What is the significance of the ratio of the area of a triangle?

The ratio of the area of a triangle can provide information about the relative size of two triangles. It can also be used to compare the similarity or congruence of two triangles.

4. Can the ratio of the area of a triangle be greater than 1?

Yes, the ratio of the area of a triangle can be greater than 1. This indicates that the first triangle is larger than the second triangle.

5. How does the ratio of the area of a triangle change when the dimensions are scaled?

The ratio of the area of a triangle remains the same when the dimensions are scaled. This is because the ratio is a measure of the relative size of the triangles, not the actual measurements.