How to find the missing displacement (vectors)?

In summary, the group of hikers covered a total distance of 50km on the first two days of hiking. On the third day, their displacement was 30km N from their starting position, with no displacement in the east-west direction. To find the displacement on the third day, the individual displacements in the north-south and east-west directions should be summed and equated to the given values.
marbille9

Homework Statement

After three days of hiking, a group of hikers are 30km N from their starting position. On the first day, they hiked 20km E. On the second day, they hiked 30km 53 degrees N of W, calculate their displacement on the third day.

Homework Equations

I haven't a single clue

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi marbille9, welcome to PF.

Start by drawing the vector diagram out...The final displacement is the vectorial sum of their displacements on each day.

30km N is the resultant vector. But I don't kow how to find the displacement on the third day.

marbille9 said:
30km N is the resultant vector. But I don't kow how to find the displacement on the third day.

Well, the displacements in the north-south direction don't effect the displacements in east-west direction. Sum the individual displacements in each direction (i.e NS, and WE) and equate the NS to 30, and the WE sum to 0...

PS : You need to show some more work, so that you can be helped better :wink:

I would approach this problem by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable components. First, I would draw a diagram to visualize the hikers' movements and their starting and ending positions. This will help me understand the direction and magnitude of their displacement on the third day.

Next, I would use the given information to calculate the total displacement on the first two days. This can be done by using the Pythagorean theorem to find the total distance traveled on the second day (30km 53 degrees N of W) and then adding it to the distance traveled on the first day (20km E). This will give me the total displacement from the starting position after two days.

Finally, I would use vector addition to find the missing displacement on the third day. This can be done by adding the displacement from the first two days to the known displacement on the third day (30km N). This will give me the total displacement from the starting position after three days.

In summary, to find the missing displacement (vectors) in this scenario, I would use a combination of visual aids, mathematical equations, and vector addition. It is important to break down the problem into smaller parts and approach it systematically in order to find an accurate solution.

Related to How to find the missing displacement (vectors)?

1. How do I calculate the missing displacement vector?

To calculate the missing displacement vector, you will need to have at least two other displacement vectors and their corresponding magnitudes and directions. Once you have this information, you can use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to find the missing displacement vector.

2. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how does it relate to displacement vectors?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In the case of displacement vectors, this theorem can be used to find the magnitude of the resultant displacement vector when adding two or more displacement vectors together.

3. How do I add and subtract displacement vectors?

To add displacement vectors, you can use the head-to-tail method or the parallelogram method. In both methods, you will need to draw the vectors to scale and then use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to find the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector. To subtract displacement vectors, you can simply change the direction of the vector you are subtracting and then follow the same steps as addition.

4. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement and distance are often used interchangeably, but they are actually two different concepts. Distance is a scalar quantity that refers to the total length of the path traveled, while displacement is a vector quantity that refers to the change in position from the starting point to the end point. Displacement takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the movement, while distance only considers the magnitude.

5. How can I represent displacement vectors graphically?

Displacement vectors can be represented graphically using arrows. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the vector, while the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector. The starting point of the arrow is the initial position and the end point is the final position. In addition, displacement vectors can also be represented using coordinate systems and mathematical equations.