How to Find the Mass of a Hanging Pole in Rotational Equilibrium?

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab assignment involving a pole with three hooks and weights being added to achieve rotational equilibrium. The task is to determine the mass of the hanging pole using given information, but there is confusion about the uniformity of the pole and its center of mass. The user is reminded to show their attempt at a solution and provide more information about the setup.
shvnchizms
[SOLVED] Rotational equilibrium

Homework Statement

This isn't actually a problem, but a portion of our latest lab assignment.
There is a pole with 3 hooks in it, one in the center at the top and two at varying distances on the bottom. The pole is hanging from a ringstand by the top hook. the two hooks on the bottom are distances of 20cm(left) and 80cm(right). We were required to add weights to each side until the pole reached a point of rotational equilibrium. once equilibrium was reached the left side had 131.43g of weights and the right side had 36.32g of weights, with this information we are asked to determine the mass of the hanging pole. so far i haven't found out how to apply the given information, if anyone has any ideas help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since this is a homework forum, you are required to show some attempt at solution from your side, however bad you may feel it to be. What is the condn for rot eqlbrm?

Shooting star said:
Since this is a homework forum, you are required to show some attempt at solution from your side, however bad you may feel it to be. What is the condn for rot eqlbrm?
, you know, if you don't like my question feel free not to answer it, but if you have anything productive to add feel free to post, and if you knew what rotational equilibrium meant then you would understand that when the weights cause the hanging pole to balance and no angular motion is experienced by the hanging pole then it is in a state of rotational equilibrium.

And you are free to post it anywhere except the HW forums, regardless of your suspicion about my knowledge about rotnl equilibrium. Best wishes.

To other helpers: Pl don't reply to this until it has been shifted to another forum, which I have asked the mentor to do.

shvnchizms said:
once equilibrium was reached the left side had 131.43g of weights and the right side had 36.32g of weights, with this information we are asked to determine the mass of the hanging pole.
Is this the only data you took? If so, I don't see how you can deduce anything about the mass of the pole. Ask yourself: Is the pole uniform? Where is its center of mass? What if no weights were hung from the bottom hooks, does it still balance?

(FYI: Even if you're totally stuck, it's a good idea to explain what you know and how you are thinking.)

Doc Al said:
Is this the only data you took? If so, I don't see how you can deduce anything about the mass of the pole. Ask yourself: Is the pole uniform? Where is its center of mass? What if no weights were hung from the bottom hooks, does it still balance?

(FYI: Even if you're totally stuck, it's a good idea to explain what you know and how you are thinking.)
to answer your quesiton, we are to asume that to the ability we can measure the pole is uniform. We limited to what we were allowed to measure.
my thoughts are that it has something to do with the torque presented by the two masses and the different lengths from the center. maybe this will help

shvnchizms said:
to answer your quesiton, we are to asume that to the ability we can measure the pole is uniform. We limited to what we were allowed to measure.
So, before you hung any weights from the pole it was in rotational equilibrium. Right?

If so, hanging weights on it won't tell you anything about the weight of the pole, since its weight contributes no torque about the support.

(Now if you hung the pole from a hook that was off to the side and not at the center, then you could figure out its weight by hanging other weights from it.)

Actually, the given torques don't balance about the centre. (User shvnchizms, have you checked this basic thing?) The rod is not probably uniform, or hung off-centre. Need more info.

What did the OP mean by the two hooks on the bottom ? I presume he means on both the sides of the centre?

Shooting star said:
Actually, the given torques don't balance about the centre.
Yes, I found the data suspect also. But first things first. :wink:

Related to How to Find the Mass of a Hanging Pole in Rotational Equilibrium?

What is rotational equilibrium?

Rotational equilibrium is a state in which an object is not rotating or accelerating around its center of mass. This means that the net torque acting on the object is equal to zero and the object remains at rest or continues to rotate at a constant speed.

How is rotational equilibrium different from translational equilibrium?

Translational equilibrium refers to a state in which an object is not moving or moving at a constant velocity. In contrast, rotational equilibrium refers to a state in which an object is not rotating or rotating at a constant rate. While both states involve a balance of forces, rotational equilibrium specifically refers to the balance of torques.

What factors affect rotational equilibrium?

The factors that affect rotational equilibrium include the magnitude and direction of the applied forces, the distance from the pivot point or axis of rotation, and the distribution of mass in the object. Any changes in these factors can result in a change in the net torque and disrupt the equilibrium state.

How is rotational equilibrium used in real-world applications?

Rotational equilibrium is used in various real-world applications, such as balancing objects on a fulcrum, designing stable structures like bridges and buildings, and understanding the stability of vehicles like airplanes and ships. It is also essential in sports, such as figure skating and diving, where athletes must maintain rotational equilibrium to perform certain movements.

What happens if rotational equilibrium is not achieved?

If rotational equilibrium is not achieved, the object will either start to rotate or accelerate around its center of mass. This can result in the object falling over, toppling, or experiencing other forms of motion. In order to achieve rotational equilibrium, the net torque acting on the object must be reduced to zero by adjusting the forces or distribution of mass.