How to find the k constant of a spring?

In summary, The conversation discusses a lab where springs were launched at a target with unknown k constant. The goal is to find the k constant and there is a question about whether kinetic energy matters. The equation Eg + Ee = Eg + Ek is proposed, but there is also a question about whether it should be Eg + Ee = Eg. The resulting k constant from the Eg + Ee = Eg method is 2.752 N/m. However, there are concerns about the smallness of this k constant and the force contained in the spring when x = 0.035m. There is speculation that the method used may be incorrect.
rss14
EDIT: I just found the homework board, mods: don't bother moving this thread, just delete it. Thanks

We had a lab where we launch springs with an unknown k constant to a target 2.01m away and 0.22m high. We also know the angle at which we shot the spring.

We need to find the k constant of the spring, so my question is, does the kinetic energy matter?

Will the equation be:

Eg + Ee = Eg + Ek (The spring had gravitational potential as it was launched a bit higher than the reference position (the table)

or

Eg + Ee = EgThanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I did the Eg + Ee = Eg method, then my k constant turned out to be 2.752 N/m.

The spring's length at equilibrium is 0.04m; the spring is quite tiny.

Does this k constant seem to small?

Also, using F= kx, the force contained in the spring when x = 0.035m, is 0.09632N

Are these values too small, which could possibly hint the method I tried is wrong?

Last edited:

Related to How to find the k constant of a spring?

1. How do I measure the spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the stiffness constant, can be measured by using Hooke's law. This law states that the force applied on a spring is directly proportional to the amount of stretch or compression of the spring. By measuring the force and the corresponding displacement, the spring constant can be calculated using the formula k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the displacement.

2. Can the spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on factors such as the material of the spring, its dimensions, and its state (compressed or stretched). It can also change if the spring is subjected to extreme temperatures or if it is damaged in any way.

3. How do I find the spring constant of a non-linear spring?

If the spring does not follow Hooke's law and has a non-linear relationship between force and displacement, the spring constant can still be calculated by using the slope of the force-displacement curve. The steeper the slope, the higher the spring constant.

4. Can I use the same spring constant for all types of springs?

No, the spring constant is specific to each individual spring. It depends on the unique characteristics of the spring, such as its material, dimensions, and state. Therefore, the same spring constant cannot be used for all types of springs.

5. How does the spring constant affect the behavior of a spring?

The spring constant determines the stiffness of a spring. A higher spring constant means that the spring will require more force to be stretched or compressed, and it will also exert a greater restoring force. On the other hand, a lower spring constant means that the spring will be easier to stretch or compress, and it will exert a weaker restoring force.