How to find the inductance of this circuit

In summary, the conversation is about finding the values of L1 and ω0 in a circuit with a fixed angular frequency and variable inductance. In the first part, when L is equal to 1/8, resonance occurs and the current reaches its minimum value. When L is increased to L1, the current becomes √2 of its minimum value. In the second part, L is fixed to L1 and ω is variable. At resonance, the magnitude of the current reaches its minimum value and the value of ω is found. The conversation also discusses the use of complex form and the calculation of power in complex circuits. Eventually, it is determined that the correct value for L1 is 1/6
MissP.25_5
I got stuck doing this question. Please correct my mistakes and help me out.

1. The angular frequency ω is FIXED to 2 [rad/s] whereas the inductance L is changeable. When L=1/8, resonance occurs in the circuit and the magnitude of current i reaches its minimum value. From this state, L is increased to L=L1 and current i becomes √2 of its minimum value. Find L1.

2. The inductance L is fixed to L1 (found in question 1) while ω is variable. When ω= ω0, the magnitude of current i reaches its minimum value. Find ω0.

Attachments

• 3d.jpg
    3d.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_4396.jpg
    IMG_4396.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 457
Physics news on Phys.org
Check your value for ZL. (At resonance you'd expect the inductive and capacitive impedances to be complex conjugates (i.e., they'll cancel if added)).

Since you're looking for a ratio in part 2, you might as well just choose a convenient value for the voltage source. Letting e = 1 [V] looks promising. What's the current Io at resonance then?

gneill said:
Check your value for ZL. (At resonance you'd expect the inductive and capacitive impedances to be complex conjugates (i.e., they'll cancel if added)).

Since you're looking for a ratio in part 2, you might as well just choose a convenient value for the voltage source. Letting e = 1 [V] looks promising. What's the current Io at resonance then?

At resonance, the ZL+ZC is 0 in a series circuit. Is it the same as in this parallell circuit?

MissP.25_5 said:
At resonance, the ZL+ZC is 0 in a series circuit. Is it the same as in this parallell circuit?

You'll find that they also cancel when added in parallel. Try it:
$$Z = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{R} + \frac{1}{ZL} + \frac{1}{ZC}}$$
and at resonance ZC = -ZL ... so ...

gneill said:
You'll find that they also cancel when added in parallel. Try it:
$$Z = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{R} + \frac{1}{ZL} + \frac{1}{ZC}}$$
and at resonance ZC = -ZL ... so ...

Is the circuit still in resonant state when L is is increased to L1?I guess not, though, because then L=1/8 and it's back to square 1.

Last edited:
So in a parallel circuit, the total impedance of ZL and ZC is indeed 0. But when L increases to L1, the circuit is no more at resonance, isn't it? Am I doing this right? The method I am using seems to be too long, and I think it's impossible to get it.

Attachments

• IMG_4412.jpg
    IMG_4412.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
MissP.25_5 said:
So in a parallel circuit, the total impedance of ZL and ZC is indeed 0. But when L increases to L1, the circuit is no more at resonance, isn't it? Am I doing this right? The method I am using seems to be too long, and I think it's impossible to get it.

I see that the math got a bit hairy pretty quickly. So if I might suggest... rather than going for the total impedance, you can go for the total current right away.

This is a parallel circuit so every branch has the same potential difference and the branch currents sum. Choosing a suitable potential for the voltage source, say 1 V at 2 rad/sec, will make summing the currents a piece of cake.

gneill said:
I see that the math got a bit hairy pretty quickly. So if I might suggest... rather than going for the total impedance, you can go for the total current right away.

This is a parallel circuit so every branch has the same potential difference and the branch currents sum. Choosing a suitable potential for the voltage source, say 1 V at 2 rad/sec, will make summing the currents a piece of cake.

When finding the sum of the currents, should I take the magnitudes of iC and iL or just leave them be as complex terms? I'm still not used to when to use magnitudes, can you give me some tips?

MissP.25_5 said:
When finding the sum of the currents, should I take the magnitudes of iC and iL or just leave them be as complex terms? I'm still not used to when to use magnitudes, can you give me some tips?

Almost always you want to keep everything in complex form. An exception is when you are calculating power, but even then you can do that in complex form as well (calculating the complex power and then extracting the effective power as the real term). This avoids having to remember how to deal with power factors applied to the product of the voltage and current magnitudes :wink:

gneill said:
Almost always you want to keep everything in complex form. An exception is when you are calculating power, but even then you can do that in complex form as well (calculating the complex power and then extracting the effective power as the real term). This avoids having to remember how to deal with power factors applied to the product of the voltage and current magnitudes :wink:

Ok, I'm done with the calculation. I got L1=1/8, this cannot be right ? I used your method of using current and then I just equate the terms with its real and imaginary coefficients. I'm not sure if I did it right, though.

Last edited:
MissP.25_5 said:
Ok, I'm done with the calculation. Is L1=1/8 ? I used your method of using current and then I just equate the terms with its real and imaginary coefficients. I'm not sure if I did it right, though.

You can sum the currents as before, but this time it's the magnitude of the current you're looking for. So the magnitude rises to √2 x the initial current. I'm not seeing 1/8 for L1.

gneill said:
You can sum the currents as before, but this time it's the magnitude of the current you're looking for. So the magnitude rises to √2 x the initial current. I'm not seeing 1/8 for L1.

Of course, because L=1/8 is when the circuit is at resonance. I forgot.

gneill said:

Ok, I fixed it. L=1/6, right?

Last edited:
MissP.25_5 said:
Ok, I fixed it. L=1/6, right?

Yes!

gneill said:
Yes!

Now, to find ω0, do I have to use the same method too?

MissP.25_5 said:
Now, to find ω0, do I have to use the same method too?

This time you have all the component values, and in particular, the inductance and capacitance. At resonance, what condition holds for those two components? (it was mentioned earlier).

gneill said:
This time you have all the component values, and in particular, the inductance and capacitance. At resonance, what condition holds for those two components? (it was mentioned earlier).

ZL=-ZC is the condition. But, how do you know that it's at resonance? It only says that the current reaches its minimum value. But I used current to find omega and got the answer. Look...

Attachments

• IMG_4419.jpg
    IMG_4419.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 454
MissP.25_5 said:
ZL=-ZC is the condition. But, how do you know that it's at resonance? It only says that the current reaches its minimum value. But I used current to find omega and got the answer. Look...

The only time the current can reach its minimum value is when the circuit is at resonance. That is, the capacitor and inductor impedances mutually cancel and they "disappear" from the circuit. Minimum current for a parallel RLC circuit occurs at resonance.

Knowing that, you know that XL = XC; the reactances are equal. (Reactance is magnitude of the impedance)

So just equate the reactances of the two reactive components.

The result you found is correct, even if you pursued a longer path to it :smile:

Related to How to find the inductance of this circuit

1. How do you calculate the inductance of a circuit?

To calculate the inductance of a circuit, you need to know the number of turns in the coil, the area of the coil, and the material of the core. You can use the formula L = (µ0 * µr * N^2 * A)/l, where µ0 is the permeability of free space, µr is the relative permeability of the core material, N is the number of turns, A is the area of the coil, and l is the length of the coil.

2. Can you use the same formula to calculate the inductance of any type of circuit?

Yes, the formula for calculating inductance is the same for any type of circuit. However, the values for µ0 and µr may vary depending on the material of the core.

3. What is the unit of inductance?

The unit of inductance is the Henry (H), named after the scientist Joseph Henry. It is equivalent to 1 volt-second/ampere (Vs/A).

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the inductance of a circuit?

Yes, besides the number of turns, area, and core material, the shape and size of the coil can also affect the inductance of a circuit. The proximity of other conductors and the presence of ferromagnetic materials near the coil can also impact the inductance.

5. Can the inductance of a circuit change over time?

Yes, the inductance of a circuit can change over time due to factors like temperature changes, mechanical stress on the coil, and aging of the core material. It is important to take these factors into consideration when designing and analyzing circuits.