How to find the equilibrium point between two masses? (Topic 6.2)

In summary: Or something like that.In summary, the problem involves finding the distance of a third mass from one of two masses, given their masses and separation, such that the net force acting on the third mass will be zero. This can be achieved by setting the forces acting on the third mass from the other two equal to each other, and rearranging the resulting equation into a quadratic form. Alternatively, one can solve for the ratio of distances between the third mass and the two other masses, and then use this information to find the individual distances. However, the presentation of the problem may be considered unrealistic and could be rephrased to align with the concept of equilibrium more accurately.
Balti
Homework Statement
Two masses of ##9.0×10^{24}kg## and ##5.0×10^{24}kg## respectively, are separated by ##1.6×10^{11}##m. A third mass is placed between the other two masses, such that it remains stationary. How far from the ##9.0×10^{24}kg## mass is the third mass placed? Give your answer in giga-metres (Gm) but without a unit. Give your answer to two significant figures.
Relevant Equations
##g=\frac {F}{m}
Morning all

I've recently come across a problem where I get conceptually but cannot apply mathematically if that makes sense.

I understand the position of the third mass must be at the equilibrium point of ##m_1## (##9.0×10^{24}kg##), so ##\Sigma F = 0## right? And not even necessarily zero, something must equal zero for the mass to be at the neutral point or the Lagrange point.

The farthest I've come is having something like ##\frac {9}{x^2} = \frac {5}{(1.6×10^11-x)^2}## and even then I have no idea how I got to that.

Can someone please give me any tips? I don't necessarily want answers, but just hints or a clue.

Physics news on Phys.org
Balti said:
Homework Statement: Two masses of ##9.0×10^{24}kg## and ##5.0×10^{24}kg## respectively, are separated by ##1.6×10^{11}##m. A third mass is placed between the other two masses, such that it remains stationary. How far from the ##9.0×10^{24}kg## mass is the third mass placed? Give your answer in giga-metres (Gm) but without a unit. Give your answer to two significant figures.
Homework Equations: ##g=\frac {F}{m}

Morning all

I've recently come across a problem where I get conceptually but cannot apply mathematically if that makes sense.

I understand the position of the third mass must be at the equilibrium point of ##m_1## (##9.0×10^{24}kg##), so ##\Sigma F = 0## right? And not even necessarily zero, something must equal zero for the mass to be at the neutral point or the Lagrange point.

The farthest I've come is having something like ##\frac {9}{x^2} = \frac {5}{(1.6×10^11-x)^2}## and even then I have no idea how I got to that.

Can someone please give me any tips? I don't necessarily want answers, but just hints or a clue.

Tip: forget the specific numbers; they just get in the way.

Hint: ##g_1 = \frac{Gm_1}{x^2} = g_2 = \frac{Gm_2}{(r-x)^2}##

Where ##r## is the distance between masses ##m_1## and ##m_2##.

Hint: can you turn that into a quadratic equation in ##x##?

Balti said:

What does equilibrium mean? You already answered that question. The total force is 0.

Balti said:

Presumably by saying the total force is 0, i.e., the magnitudes of the two forces acting in opposite directions are equal. Write the expressions for the force [magnitudes], set them equal and you get an equation like the above.

This equation can be rearranged into a quadratic in ##x## as @PeroK said. Personally I find it easier in these problems to solve for the ratio ##f = r_1/r_2## of the two distances ##r_1## and ##r_2 = r - r_1##. Once you know ##f## you can use the fact that ##r_1 = f r_2## and ##r_1 + r_2 = r## to solve for the individual distances.

Likes jbriggs444
RPinPA said:
What does equilibrium mean? You already answered that question. The total force is 0.
Although I understand the spirit of this problem, I don't like its unrealistic presentation at all. The word equilibrium has a loaded meaning. The middle mass is as much in equilibrium as a sphere balanced on top of another sphere: an infinitesimally small displacement from the point where the net force is zero, will result in an increasing acceleration as there is no restoring force (or torque). Even if we could accept that the middle mass "remains stationary" in non stable equilibrium, what about the masses on either side of it? We must also imagine and accept two gigantic disembodied hands (or equivalent), separated by ##1.6\times 10^{11}~\mathrm{m}##, holding each mass in place against the gravitational attraction from the other two. It would have been much more relevant to the spirit of the problem to ask, "find the point in space where a third mass will experience zero force if placed there."

Related to How to find the equilibrium point between two masses? (Topic 6.2)

1. How do you calculate the equilibrium point between two masses?

The equilibrium point between two masses can be calculated by setting the sum of the forces acting on the two masses equal to zero. This means that the forces pulling the masses in opposite directions are balanced, resulting in a stable system.

2. What factors affect the equilibrium point between two masses?

The equilibrium point between two masses is affected by the masses of the objects, the distance between them, and the strength of the forces acting on them. Additionally, any external forces or changes in the environment can also impact the equilibrium point.

3. How do you determine if the equilibrium point between two masses is stable or unstable?

If the equilibrium point is stable, the system will return to that point if it is disturbed. On the other hand, if the equilibrium point is unstable, the system will move further away from the point if it is disturbed. This can be determined by analyzing the forces acting on the two masses and their relative positions.

4. Can the equilibrium point between two masses change over time?

Yes, the equilibrium point between two masses can change over time if there are changes in the factors that affect it, such as the masses, distances, or forces acting on the masses. For example, if one of the masses increases in size, the equilibrium point may shift.

5. How does the equilibrium point between two masses relate to Newton's Laws of Motion?

The equilibrium point between two masses is closely related to Newton's Laws of Motion, specifically the first law which states that an object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of two masses, the equilibrium point is where the forces are balanced, resulting in no net force and thus no acceleration.