How to Find the Directional Derivative of a Function at a Given Point?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fantini
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivatives
In summary, the problem is to find the directional derivative of the function $V(x,y) = x^3 -3xy +4y^2$ at the point $P(2,1)$ in the direction of the unit vector $\vec{u}$ given by the angle $\theta = \pi/6$. After finding the gradient of the function at the desired point, $D_u V(2,1)$ is calculated using the scalar product definition. However, there seems to be disagreement with the given answer and it is suggested to use the direction vector $\vec{u} = < \cos \theta, \sin \theta>$ instead. The correct answer is found to be $\frac{9\sqrt3}
Fantini
Gold Member
MHB
Here's the problem:

Find the directional derivative of the function $V(x,y) = x^3 -3xy +4y^2$ at the point $P(2,1)$ in the direction of the unit vector $\vec{u}$ given by the angle $\theta = \pi /6$.

So I found the gradient of the function $$\nabla V(x,y) = (3x^2 -3y, 8y -3x),$$ and then at the point desired: $$\nabla V(2,1) = (3(2)^2 -3(1), 8(1) -3(2)) = (12-3, 8-6) = (9,2).$$ Single he gave me the angle, I can find it using the scalar product definition: $D_u V(2,1) = | \nabla V(2,1) | \cdot \cos \theta$, which means $$D_u V(2,1) = \sqrt{ 9^2 +2^2} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} = \sqrt{85} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} = \frac{\sqrt{255}}{2}.$$

The problem is that the answer is $D_u V(2,1) = 1 + 4.5 \sqrt{3}$ which is simply multiplying each of the gradient's coordinate by the cosine and summing. I disagree with it entirely; if the vector wasn't given, there's no way to do the scalar product by multiplying and summing the coordinates, so we have to use the other form.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fantini said:
Here's the problem:

Find the directional derivative of the function $V(x,y) = x^3 -3xy +4y^2$ at the point $P(2,1)$ in the direction of the unit vector $\vec{u}$ given by the angle $\theta = \pi /6$.

So I found the gradient of the function $$\nabla V(x,y) = (3x^2 -3y, 8y -3x),$$ and then at the point desired: $$\nabla V(2,1) = (3(2)^2 -3(1), 8(1) -3(2)) = (12-3, 8-6) = (9,2).$$ Single he gave me the angle, I can find it using the scalar product definition: $D_u V(2,1) = | \nabla V(2,1) | \cdot \cos \theta$, which means $$D_u V(2,1) = \sqrt{ 9^2 +2^2} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} = \sqrt{85} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} = \frac{\sqrt{255}}{2}.$$

The problem is that the answer is $D_u V(2,1) = 1 + 4.5 \sqrt{3}$ which is simply multiplying each of the gradient's coordinate by the cosine and summing. I disagree with it entirely; if the vector wasn't given, there's no way to do the scalar product by multiplying and summing the coordinates, so we have to use the other form.
I believe that the unit vector you look for is

$\vec{u} = < \cos \theta, \sin \theta>$

BTW - with your definition $\theta$, $\theta$ is the angle between $\nabla V(2,1) = <9,2>$ and the unit vector $<\dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{2},\dfrac{1}{2}>$ and not $\theta = \dfrac{\pi}{6}$

Last edited:
Fantini said:
Single he gave me the angle, I can find it using the scalar product definition: $D_u V(2,1) = | \nabla V(2,1) | \cdot \cos \theta$, which means $$D_u V(2,1) = \sqrt{ 9^2 +2^2} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} = \sqrt{85} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} = \frac{\sqrt{255}}{2}.$$

What's going on here? The direction vector is \(\mathbf{u} = \cos\theta\,\mathbf{i} + \sin\theta\,\mathbf{j} = \frac{\sqrt3}2\mathbf{i} + \frac12\mathbf{j}\), so

\[D_{\mathbf u}V(x, y) = \nabla V(x,y)\cdot\mathbf{u}\]

\[=\left(3x^2-3y\right)\cdot\frac{\sqrt3}2+\left(8y-3x\right)\cdot\frac12\]

\[\Rightarrow D_{\mathbf u}V(2,1) = \frac{9\sqrt3}2 + 1.\]

I supposed I misread the question then. What I did was assume he spoke of a general unit vector giving the angle between it and the gradient as $\theta = \pi/6.$ My bad then. Thanks for clearing it up! :D

A "general unit vector giving the angle between it and the gradient as [tex]\theta = \pi/6[/tex]"?
There is only one such vector!

Related to How to Find the Directional Derivative of a Function at a Given Point?

1. What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is the rate of change of a function in a specific direction. It measures how much the function changes as you move along a given direction.

2. How is a directional derivative calculated?

The directional derivative is calculated by taking the dot product between the gradient of the function and the unit vector pointing in the specified direction.

3. What is the significance of directional derivatives?

Directional derivatives are important in mathematics and physics as they help us understand the rate of change of a function in a particular direction. They can also be used to find the maximum or minimum values of a function.

4. How do directional derivatives relate to partial derivatives?

Directional derivatives are closely related to partial derivatives, as taking the partial derivative in a specific direction is equivalent to taking the directional derivative in that direction. However, directional derivatives can also be calculated in directions that are not aligned with the coordinate axes.

5. In what real-world applications are directional derivatives used?

Directional derivatives are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. They are particularly useful in studying the flow of fluids, analyzing the effects of forces on objects, and optimizing functions in economics and engineering.