How to find the decay rate of processes: a→ b+c

In summary: It is correct either way if you include the argument with the ratio. In fact, it is a very common way and important tool when solving for ratios to only care about proportionality and not the constant in front.
Jamiemma1995
Homework Statement
Show using isospin symmetry that the probabilities of the decays ∆+ → π^+n and ∆+ → π_0p are expected to be in the ratio

Γ(∆+ → π^+n)/ Γ(∆+ → π_0p)=1 /2

I unfortunately missed the classes that covered this last week due to severe health problems , I don't want anyone to solve it for me I want to learn , but my problem is I don't know how to find the decay rate of processes. Could anyone please explain the method, and give the relevant equations and then I can work it out for myself .
Relevant Equations
N.A.
As mentioned above I'm unable to begin because I don't know the relevant equations or method.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need the following equations for the relevant iso-spin states:
[tex]|\pi^{+}n\rangle \equiv |1, 1 \rangle |\frac{1}{2} , - \frac{1}{2} \rangle = \sqrt {\frac{1}{3}} \ | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{1}{2} \rangle + \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}} \ | \frac{1}{2} , \frac{1}{2} \rangle ,[/tex][tex]|\pi^{0}p \rangle \equiv |1 , 0 \rangle |\frac{1}{2} , + \frac{1}{2} \rangle = \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}} \ |\frac{3}{2} , \frac{1}{2} \rangle - \sqrt{\frac{1}{3}} \ |\frac{1}{2} , \frac{1}{2}\rangle .[/tex] Now, solve these equations for [itex]|\Delta^{+} \rangle \equiv |\frac{3}{2} , \frac{1}{2} \rangle [/itex] and obtain equation of the form [tex]|\Delta^{+} \rangle = a \ |\pi^{+}n\rangle + b \ |\pi^{0}p \rangle .[/tex] Make sure that [itex]|a|^{2} + |b|^{2} = 1[/itex]. Now [tex]\frac{\Gamma ( \Delta^{+} \to \pi^{+} n )}{ \Gamma ( \Delta^{+} \to \pi^{0} p )} = \frac{|a|^{2}}{|b|^{2}} .[/tex]

samalkhaiat said:
Make sure that [itex]|a|^{2} + |b|^{2} = 1[/itex].
Normalising the state is generally a good advice, but not that relevant here since the sought result is a decay rate ratio.

Jamiemma1995 said:
Could anyone please explain the method, and give the relevant equations and then I can work it out for myself?
Don't you have a textbook? I'm sure it explains how to do this kind of calculation as well as giving examples.

Orodruin said:
Normalising the state is generally a good advice, but not that relevant here since the sought result is a decay rate ratio.
The advice was about solving the equations correctly. Normalization is not the issue here, [itex]10^{23}|\Delta^{+}\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|\Delta^{+}\rangle[/itex] lead to the same ratio. However, obtaining [itex]a^{2} + b^{2} = 1[/itex] means that his solution is definitely correct.

samalkhaiat said:
The advice was about solving the equations correctly. Normalization is not the issue here, [itex]10^{23}|\Delta^{+}\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|\Delta^{+}\rangle[/itex] lead to the same ratio. However, obtaining [itex]a^{2} + b^{2} = 1[/itex] means that his solution is definitely correct.
It is correct either way if you include the argument with the ratio. In fact, it is a very common way and important tool when solving for ratios to only care about proportionality and not the constant in front.

Related to How to find the decay rate of processes: a→ b+c

1. What is the decay rate of a process?

The decay rate of a process is the rate at which the parent particles (a) decay into daughter particles (b and c).

2. How is the decay rate of a process calculated?

The decay rate of a process is calculated by dividing the number of parent particles that decay in a given time period by the total number of parent particles present.

3. What factors can affect the decay rate of a process?

The decay rate of a process can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other particles that may interfere with the decay process.

4. Can the decay rate of a process be changed?

The decay rate of a process is a fundamental property of the specific process and cannot be changed. However, external factors may affect the observed decay rate.

5. How is the decay rate of a process related to the half-life?

The decay rate of a process is directly related to the half-life, which is the amount of time it takes for half of the parent particles to decay. A higher decay rate corresponds to a shorter half-life and vice versa.