How to find the Atomic Structure of a Constituent

In summary: I got it from a textbook I have. The section talks about tachmen and uses a Tortoises-Hares fable to explain it. Really crummy section, the rest of the book is okay. So I was just going off of the one sentence I quoted below.They defined a cell scalar field p(c,t), the electric charge density, obtained from the net charge in the cell (positive minus negative) by dividing by the volume dt(c) = dr^3.
Shelnutt2
For a project/idea I'm working on, I need to find the charge density of tap water. I've read that this can be determined by simply subtracting total protons minus total electrons. I've got a list of elements that are in the water, but I'm not 100% sure how to find the exact number of electrons and protons for everything. Elements such as Calcium are easy to find, but then Bicarbonate? I've googled and can't seem to find it. If someone can point me in the right direction, it would be great!

Constituent:

Calcium
Magnesium
Sodium
Potassium
Bicarbonate
Sulfate
Chloride
Fluoride
Bromide
Silica
Nitrite
Ammonia
Phosphorus (dissolved)
Aluminum
Arsenic
Barium
Beryllium
Boron
Cadmium
Chromium
Cobalt
Iron (dissolved)
Lead
Lithium
Manganese
Selenium
Strontium
Vanadium

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Shelnutt2 said:
For a project/idea I'm working on, I need to find the charge density of tap water. I've read that this can be determined by simply subtracting total protons minus total electrons.

Water is neutral, so the charge density is zero.

Borek said:
Water is neutral, so the charge density is zero.

H2O is neutral, but with all the ions in the water, there has to be something. Even an insignificant amount would still mean something to me.

Solutions are neutral as well. Exactly the same amount of positive and negative ions are dissolved.

Shelnutt2 said:
For a project/idea I'm working on, I need to find the charge density of tap water. I've read that this can be determined by simply subtracting total protons minus total electrons...

That's a very unusual definition. Where did you see it?

chemisttree said:
That's a very unusual definition. Where did you see it?
I got it from a textbook I have. The section talks about tachmen and uses a Tortoises-Hares fable to explain it. Really crummy section, the rest of the book is okay. So I was just going off of the one sentence I quoted below.

Visscher said:
They defined a cell scalar field p(c,t), the electric charge density, obtained from the net charge in the cell (positive minus negative) by dividing by the volume dt(c) = dr^3.

http://books.google.com/books?id=LZ...s+and+Electrodynamics&client=firefox-a&pgis=1

Do you have any better "definitions" on how to calculate charge density? This is the only thing I am stumped on.

Related to How to find the Atomic Structure of a Constituent

1. What is the atomic structure of a constituent?

The atomic structure of a constituent refers to the arrangement of subatomic particles, such as protons, neutrons, and electrons, within an atom. It includes the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus, as well as the number and distribution of electrons in the electron shells.

2. How can I determine the atomic structure of a constituent?

The atomic structure of a constituent can be determined through various techniques, such as X-ray crystallography, spectroscopy, and electron microscopy. These methods involve studying the interactions between atoms and particles, which can provide information about their arrangement and properties.

3. What is the significance of knowing the atomic structure of a constituent?

Understanding the atomic structure of a constituent is crucial for various reasons. It allows us to predict and explain the chemical and physical properties of substances, such as their reactivity, bonding, and conductivity. It also helps in developing new materials and technologies, as well as understanding the fundamental principles of the universe.

4. Can the atomic structure of a constituent change?

Yes, the atomic structure of a constituent can change through processes such as nuclear reactions, radioactive decay, and ionization. These changes can alter the number of subatomic particles within an atom, which can affect its properties and behavior.

5. Is it possible to manipulate the atomic structure of a constituent?

Yes, it is possible to manipulate the atomic structure of a constituent through various methods, such as chemical reactions, nuclear reactions, and particle accelerators. These techniques can be used to create new substances with desired properties or to study the behavior of atoms under extreme conditions.

Back