How to find the argument of a function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the function ##V(f) = A \tau sinc(f \tau)## and how to determine the argument of ##V(f)##, which can be 0º, +180º or -180º. The discussion also delves into the properties of the sinc function and its comparison to the sine function. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to create diagrams to better understand the function.
znaya

Homework Statement

IMG_20150601_210114.jpg

For the function ##V(f) = A \tau sinc(f \tau)## in the picture how do you conclude that the argument of ##V(f)## is 0º, +180º or -180º?

Homework Equations

##arg = arctan({\frac{Im}{Re}})##

The Attempt at a Solution

The upper graphic represents the absolute value of the function, right? I understand that being a sinc function the negative parts of the graphic should "jump" to the positive side. I also understand why the function return 0 on k/τ.
Is it correct to think, for example, between 1/τ and 2/τ the sinc function returns negative values but because it needs to shift to the positive values the fase should be negative so that negative times negative = positive?
I'm so sorry if this questions sounds too basic. I'm trying to learn by myself, I'm not attending any classes and I have no one to ask this kind of doubts.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Write analytical ##sinc()## function and think about ##sin()## that you know much better.

##sinc(x) = {\frac{\sin(\pi x)}{\pi x}}##

Capture.jpg

The ##sin()## is positive between ##-2 \pi## and ##- \pi## and between ##0## and ##\pi## and is negative between ##- \pi## and ##0## and between ##\pi## and ##2 \pi##...

On your function the argument is ##ft## so ##f=\pi##. What must be ##Α## in your function?

##A## represents the amplitude of the function, the value that the function return when ##x = 0##

I think ##A## has only a sign. The second diagram is a step function. Make some diagrams.

Related to How to find the argument of a function?

1. What is the definition of an argument in a function?

The argument of a function is the independent variable or input value that is used to calculate the output or dependent variable. It is the value that is substituted into the function to produce a result.

2. How do I determine the argument of a function from an equation?

The argument of a function can be determined by looking at the input variable in the function's equation. The input variable will be the argument of the function.

3. Can a function have more than one argument?

Yes, a function can have more than one argument. This is known as a multi-argument function. In this case, the function will have multiple input variables that are used to calculate the output.

4. How do I find the argument of a function in a graph?

In a graph, the argument of a function is typically represented by the x-axis. This is because the x-axis is used to plot the input values for the function, while the y-axis represents the output values.

5. Is there a specific way to write the argument of a function?

The argument of a function is typically written within parentheses following the function name. For example, if the function is f(x), the argument would be written as (x). However, this may vary depending on the specific function notation being used.