How to find phi in simple harmonic motion

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of Φ in the equation x(t) = xo + A sin (ωt +Φ) for simple harmonic motion, given a position vs time graph. The speaker suggests finding A and the period (T) first, then using the clues on the graph to determine the specific version of x(t). They also mention the possibility of getting incorrect values for Φ due to mistakes in reading the graph.
FlorenceC
Missing template due to being originally posted in different forum
Given a position vs time graph of simple harmonic motion of an object and using the equation
x(t) = xo = A sin (ωt +Φ), how am I supposed to find Φ?
I can easily find A and the period (T).
I also know T = 2 pi / ω, so I can find ω.

But I don't know x(t) and t. I tried finding random points in the graph and plugging them into the rearranged equation:
sin-1(x(t)- xo / (A)) - ωt = Φ
but I'm getting numbers that change depending on x(t) and t.

So how am I supposed to get Φ and should it not be constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look at the x vs t graph at t=0.
You do know x(t) - you wrote it down on the second line of your post.
To get the specific version of x(t) for your graph, you will need to use the clues on the graph ... like you should be able to see what A is.

Simon Bridge said:
You do know x(t) - you wrote it down on the second line of your post.
To get the specific version of x(t) for your graph, you will need to use the clues on the graph ... like you should be able to see what A is.
Yes but I don't know phi? How do I know x(t)?

You can use the value of x @ t = 0 seconds, say xo, to determine the value of Φ.
Just watch out there are 2 points on an oscillation that have the same x value.
So when you solve for Φ using this xo value you may not get the correct
angle.

Yes but I don't know phi? How do I know x(t)?

What is x(0)? What is A?

So you know T, A and ω. What is x when t=0?

So you know T, A and ω. What is x when t=0?
... That's probably about the most we can hope to do to help, without further feedback.
It kinda looks like using different values of t, knowing ω and A, gets different values for ##\sin^{-1}\frac{x(t)}{A} -\omega t## ... which suggests that there are easy mistakes to be made reading the graph.
Cannot tell though.

Related to How to find phi in simple harmonic motion

What is phi in simple harmonic motion?

Phi (φ) in simple harmonic motion refers to the phase angle, which represents the starting point of the oscillation and determines the position of the object at any given time within the cycle of motion.

How do you calculate phi in simple harmonic motion?

To calculate phi in simple harmonic motion, you can use the formula φ = arctan(x/x0), where x is the current position of the object and x0 is the amplitude or maximum displacement from the equilibrium position.

What is the significance of phi in simple harmonic motion?

The value of phi in simple harmonic motion can help us understand the behavior and position of the object at any given time within the cycle of motion. It also helps us determine the amplitude and frequency of the oscillation.

How does phi affect the motion of an object in simple harmonic motion?

The value of phi affects the position and velocity of the object in simple harmonic motion. It determines the starting point and the rate at which the object moves through the cycle of motion.

Can phi be negative in simple harmonic motion?

Yes, phi can be negative in simple harmonic motion. This means that the object starts its motion from a point below the equilibrium position. It can also be positive, indicating that the object starts from a point above the equilibrium position.