How to find out radius by velocity and an angle

In summary, the aircraft generates lift to counter gravity and turns by banking its wings. To maintain level flight, the lift force must increase to balance gravity. Q.1 asks to determine the lift force required to counter gravity as a function of the bank angle. Q.2 asks to use this information to find a function relating the speed and bank angle to the turning radius. To solve these questions, we can use the formula for centripetal force, which equates the lift force to the gravitational force. From there, we can find the necessary horizontal force and use that, along with the speed, to determine the turning radius.
EggEgg

Homework Statement

An aircraft remains in flight by generating a force, called Lift, which acts to counter gravity. By design, Lift always acts in the “up” direction of the aircraft frame of reference (i.e., orthogonally to a lateral axis along the wings). An aircraft turns by banking its wings, thereby changing the direction of the Lift force. The diagram to the right illustrates this.
To maintain level flight, the Lift force must increase, so that the vertical component of lift balances gravity. In this situation though there is an unbalanced horizontal turning force, which causes the aircraft to turn in a circle.

Q.1 Determine the lift force, L, required to counter gravity, as a function of the bank angle,[tex]\theta[/tex]

Q.2 Use the above information to determine a function relating the speed of the aircraft and the bank angle to the turning radius (i.e., the radius of the circle inscribed by the aircraft during the turn).

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have answered Q.1 as:
In bank angle[tex]\theta[/tex]=0, lift force L is equal to gravity g, thus:
(L cos)[tex]\theta[/tex]=g

[tex]\theta[/tex]=cos-1(g/L)

For Q.2
I know i can use bank angle to find out horizontal force, and use forward velocity with this force to find out the turning angle, but i don't know how to find out the radius with these information

Physics news on Phys.org
The aircraft is turning in a circle, so the resultant of lift and gravity will provide the centripetal force needed to turn in that radius.

So you just need the formula for centripetal force and equate that to the lift-gravity.

But how about Q2?
i want to know how can i find the radius by a angle [tex]\theta[/tex]
other thing like the lift force, horizontal force and the angle i know how to find it

Attachments

• plane.JPG
    plane.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 568
EggEgg said:
But how about Q2?
other thing like the lift force, horizontal force and the angle i know how to find it

mv2/r = lift force - gravity

EggEgg said:
But how about Q2?

Who did the diagram you attached ?
It's very confusing, especially for you that you are trying to solve this problem, and in the end it wrong.

Proceed by steps, and find the force necessary to keep up the plane with a certain bank angle.
Then with the horizontal force, and the speed, you can find the radius.

Related to How to find out radius by velocity and an angle

1. What is the formula for calculating radius given velocity and angle?

The formula for calculating radius using velocity and angle is r = v2 / g * sin(2θ), where r is the radius, v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle.

2. How do I measure the velocity and angle?

Velocity can be measured using a speedometer or by calculating the change in position over time. Angle can be measured using a protractor or by using trigonometric functions to calculate it from known sides of a triangle.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of motion?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of motion as long as the motion is uniform and there is no external force acting on the object.

4. What are some real-world applications of this formula?

This formula is commonly used in sports, such as in baseball to calculate the trajectory of a ball after it is hit, or in golf to determine the distance and angle needed for a shot. It is also used in physics and engineering for analyzing projectile motion and designing trajectories for objects.

5. Can I use this formula to calculate the radius of a circular orbit?

No, this formula is specific for calculating the radius of a projectile launched at an angle. For calculating the radius of a circular orbit, the formula is r = (GM) / v2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the central body, and v is the velocity of the orbiting object.