How to find mass in an Atwood machine

In summary, to find the mass of the pumpkin in this scenario, we use the equation m2 = (ma + T) / g, where m2 represents the mass of the pumpkin, m is the mass of the weight, a is the acceleration of the pumpkin, T is the tension in the rope, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.
iyanna

Homework Statement

A pumpkin and a weight are attached to a frictionless pulley. As the 5kg weight is released, the pumpkin accelerates down at 4.65 m/s^2 to the ground. What is the mass of the pumpkin? [/B]

Homework Equations

How do I find the mass?

The Attempt at a Solution

T=m1g
ma=m2g-T
m=m2g-T/a
m=m2g-49/4.65
m=10.53-m2g
m-10.53=m2g
10.53+5=15.53
m2=1.57kg

on Phys.org
It says the pumpkin accelerates downwards. Does that make it more or less than 5kg?

haruspex said:
It says the pumpkin accelerates downwards. Does that make it more or less than 5kg?
More

You don't make it clear, but I assume you are using m ( or m1) for the mass of the weight and m2 for the pumpkin.
If T is the tension in the rope, what are the forces acting on the pumpkin? What "F=ma" equation does that give you? Same questions for the weight.

I think your formula is off.

Shouldn't it be m2 = (ma + T) / g ?

Kamisama said:
I think your formula is off.

Shouldn't it be m2 = (ma + T) / g ?
How is that different from
iyanna said:
ma=m2g-T
?

Related to How to find mass in an Atwood machine

What is an Atwood machine?

An Atwood machine is a simple mechanical device used to measure the difference in mass between two objects. It consists of a pulley, a string, and two masses of different weights.

How does an Atwood machine work?

An Atwood machine works by balancing the gravitational forces between two masses. The heavier object will accelerate downwards, pulling the lighter object up with it. The mass difference between the two objects can be calculated using the acceleration and known constants such as gravity.

How do I measure mass in an Atwood machine?

To measure mass in an Atwood machine, you will need to know the acceleration of the system and the difference in weights between the two objects. Using the equation F=ma, you can calculate the mass of each object by dividing the force (weight) by the acceleration.

What factors can affect the accuracy of mass measurements in an Atwood machine?

The accuracy of mass measurements in an Atwood machine can be affected by several factors, including friction in the pulley system, air resistance, and human error in recording data. It is important to minimize these factors as much as possible to obtain accurate results.

How can I improve the accuracy of mass measurements in an Atwood machine?

To improve the accuracy of mass measurements in an Atwood machine, you can use a smoother pulley system to reduce friction, perform the experiment in a vacuum to eliminate air resistance, and take multiple measurements to account for human error. It is also important to use precise weighing equipment and record data carefully.