How to Find Initial Moles of Reactants for Given Reaction | Moles Homework

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter anthonych414
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Initial Moles
In summary, the given reaction is H2O2 + 2I- + 2H+ → 2H2O + I2. To find the initial number of moles of each reactant, we use the equation n=CxV where n is the number of moles, C is the concentration, and V is the volume. We do not need to multiply by the stoichiometric coefficients.
anthonych414

Homework Statement

We are given a reaction: H2O2 + 2I- + 2H+ → 2H2O + I2 and are asked to find the initial number of moles of each reactant.

V=10mL and C=0.2 mol/L for potassium iodide in the solution.
V=5mL and C=0.5 mol/L for sulfuric acid in the solution.
V=5mL and C=0.02 mol/L for hydrogen peroxide in the solution.

Homework Equations

n=CxV where n is the number of moles, C is the concentration, and V is the volume.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know we need to use the equation stated above but should we multiply by the coefficient or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean stoichiometric coefficients? No, just calculate concentration as if you were not knowing what the solution will be used for.

Related to How to Find Initial Moles of Reactants for Given Reaction | Moles Homework

1. What is the definition of "Initial number of moles"?

The initial number of moles, also known as the initial amount, is the quantity of a particular substance present at the beginning of a chemical reaction.

2. How is the initial number of moles calculated?

The initial number of moles can be calculated by dividing the mass of a substance by its molar mass, or by using the ideal gas law equation PV = nRT, where n is the number of moles.

3. Why is the initial number of moles important in chemical reactions?

The initial number of moles is important because it determines the amount of reactants available for a reaction to occur. It also affects the rate and extent of the reaction.

4. Can the initial number of moles change during a chemical reaction?

Yes, the initial number of moles can change during a chemical reaction due to factors such as the consumption or production of a reactant or product, as well as changes in temperature or pressure.

5. How does the initial number of moles affect the equilibrium of a reaction?

The initial number of moles can affect the equilibrium of a reaction by shifting the equilibrium position towards the side with fewer moles. This is based on the principle of Le Chatelier's principle, which states that a system will shift to counteract any changes imposed upon it.