How to find currents and voltages with 2 batteries connected?

In summary, to determine the current in a circuit with 2 batteries connected, you can use Ohm's Law by adding the voltages of the two batteries and dividing by the total resistance. Kirchhoff's Laws can also be used to find currents and voltages in this type of circuit. In series circuits, the current is the same throughout and the voltage drops are additive, while in parallel circuits, the voltage is the same and the total current is the sum of the currents through each path. To calculate the voltage drop across each component, you can use Ohm's Law by multiplying the current through the component by its resistance. If the two batteries have different voltages, the total voltage will be the sum of the individual battery volt
Logan Land
Assume that this circuit has been connected as shown for a very long time. Re-draw the schematic and label the currents and voltages in and across all components including the View attachment 4024batteries. All components are “ideal.”

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-24 at 6.08.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-24 at 6.08.52 PM.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 50
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The current runs from the negative side of the battery to the postive correct? So first should I try and replace what I can with equivalent components to clean up the circuit?
or should try try and go ahead and use mesh analysis

Related to How to find currents and voltages with 2 batteries connected?

1. How do I determine the current in a circuit with 2 batteries connected?

To find the current in a circuit with 2 batteries connected, you will need to use Ohm's Law. Ohm's Law states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). In this case, you will need to add the voltages of the two batteries together and divide by the total resistance of the circuit.

2. Can I use Kirchhoff's Laws to find currents and voltages with 2 batteries connected?

Yes, you can use Kirchhoff's Laws to determine the currents and voltages in a circuit with 2 batteries connected. Kirchhoff's Laws state that the sum of the currents entering a junction is equal to the sum of the currents leaving a junction, and the sum of the voltage drops around a closed loop is equal to the sum of the voltage sources in that loop.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits when finding currents and voltages with 2 batteries connected?

In a series circuit, the two batteries are connected end-to-end, creating a single path for current to flow. In this case, the current is the same throughout the circuit and the voltage drops across each component are additive. In a parallel circuit, the two batteries are connected side-by-side, creating multiple paths for current to flow. In this case, the voltage is the same across each component and the total current is the sum of the currents through each path.

4. How can I calculate the voltage drop across each component in a circuit with 2 batteries connected?

To calculate the voltage drop across each component, you will need to use Ohm's Law. Using the formula V=IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance, you can calculate the voltage drop across each component by multiplying the current through the component by its resistance.

5. What happens if the two batteries in a circuit have different voltages?

If the two batteries in a circuit have different voltages, the total voltage in the circuit will be equal to the sum of the two individual battery voltages. However, the current may be different in each branch of the circuit, depending on the resistance of each branch. This can be calculated using Kirchhoff's Laws.