How to find constants of motion from this hamiltonian?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a constant of motion for a one-dimensional system with the given Hamiltonian H=p^2/2 - 1/(2q^2). The individual has attempted to use Hamilton's equations but has not been successful. They are seeking guidance on how to proceed and have been advised to double check their calculations for \dot{D}, the time derivative of the constant of motion.
Flamboyanza
Given H=p^2/2 - 1/(2q^2)
How to show that there is a constant of motion for this one dimensional system D=pq/2 - Ht ?

I tried doing it in my usual way i.e. p'=-∂H/∂q and q'=∂H/∂p and then finding the constants of motion but that doesn't match with what I have to show.

Please guide me as to how to proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can definitely use Hamilton's equations to show that D is a constant of motion. Are you sure you did calculate [itex]\dot{D}=\frac{d D}{dt}[/itex] correctly?

You need to show your work so we can see where the problem might lie.

Related to How to find constants of motion from this hamiltonian?

1. What is a constant of motion in a Hamiltonian system?

A constant of motion in a Hamiltonian system is a quantity that remains unchanged as the system evolves over time. In other words, it is a conserved quantity that does not depend on the specific state of the system, but only on the initial conditions.

2. How do I determine the constants of motion from a Hamiltonian?

The constants of motion can be determined by first writing out the Hamiltonian in terms of the position and momentum variables, and then finding the quantities that do not change as the system evolves. These quantities can be identified as the constants of motion.

3. Can the constants of motion change over time in a Hamiltonian system?

No, the constants of motion in a Hamiltonian system are by definition conserved quantities that do not change over time. They are determined by the initial conditions of the system and remain constant as the system evolves.

4. Are there any general methods for finding constants of motion from a Hamiltonian?

Yes, there are several general methods for finding constants of motion from a Hamiltonian, such as the Poisson bracket method and the Noether's theorem. These methods can be applied to a wide range of Hamiltonian systems to determine the conserved quantities.

5. How can knowledge of the constants of motion be useful in studying a Hamiltonian system?

Knowledge of the constants of motion can be useful in studying a Hamiltonian system as it provides insight into the behavior and properties of the system. It can also be used to simplify the equations of motion and aid in the analysis and prediction of the system's behavior over time.