How to find basis vectors for a+ ax^2+bx^4?

In summary, the number of basis vectors needed for a quadratic polynomial is equal to the degree of the polynomial plus one. To find basis vectors, the standard basis vectors can be used and reduced to row echelon form using Gaussian elimination. Other linearly independent vectors can also be used as basis vectors, but the standard basis vectors are the most common and easiest to work with. The purpose of finding basis vectors is to express any quadratic polynomial as a linear combination of these basis vectors, making operations easier. There is no specific order in which the basis vectors should be arranged, but it is common to arrange them in ascending powers of x, with the constant term as the first basis vector.
DhineshKumar
I want to find basis for a+ax^2+bx^4 belong to p4.
I am getting the following result is it right?
=>a(1+x^2) + b(x^4)
=> basis ={1+x^2, x^4}

Is that right ? Please help me any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you only have two terms (a,b) it makes sense to have a basis with two vectors. This function will be in the span of those bases for any choice of a and b.
In the standard polynomial basis [1, x, x^2, x^3, x^4,x^5 ... ], this would be [ a, 0, a, 0, b,0,...].

Thank you so much.

yes

Related to How to find basis vectors for a+ ax^2+bx^4?

1. How do I determine the number of basis vectors needed for a quadratic polynomial?

The number of basis vectors needed for a quadratic polynomial is equal to the degree of the polynomial plus one. In this case, since the polynomial is of degree 4, we will need 5 basis vectors.

2. What is the process for finding basis vectors for a quadratic polynomial?

To find basis vectors for a quadratic polynomial, we can use the standard basis vectors 1, x, x^2, x^3, and x^4. Then, we can use Gaussian elimination to reduce the matrix formed by these vectors to row echelon form. The remaining vectors will be our basis vectors.

3. Can I use any other basis vectors besides the standard basis for a quadratic polynomial?

Yes, you can use any set of linearly independent vectors as basis vectors for a quadratic polynomial. However, the standard basis vectors are the most commonly used and easiest to work with.

4. What is the purpose of finding basis vectors for a quadratic polynomial?

Finding basis vectors for a quadratic polynomial allows us to express any other quadratic polynomial as a linear combination of these basis vectors. This can make solving equations and performing other operations much easier.

5. Is there a specific order in which the basis vectors should be arranged?

No, there is no specific order in which the basis vectors should be arranged. However, it is common to arrange them in ascending powers of x, with the constant term as the first basis vector.