How to find barrier potential of pn junction diode

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the barrier potential in a pn junction diode and its relationship to the energy band gap. It is mentioned that the barrier potential can be determined practically, but the question is whether there is a way to determine it theoretically. There is also a discussion about the role of the Fermi energy in the barrier potential.
physics.cie
I want to know that when a pn junction diode is formed and barrier potential is setup then how can we determine the same theoretically. Also I wan to know that is there any relation between barrier potential and energy band gapSmall band gap small barrier? ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any 1here to help me out of this.

physics.cie said:
I want to know that when a pn junction diode is formed and barrier potential is setup then how can we determine the same theoretically. Also I wan to know that is there any relation between barrier potential and energy band gap

Small band gap small barrier? ?

The first part of your question isn't clear. What do you mean by "can we determine the same theoretically"? What are you trying to determine theoretically?

The energy gap has no explicit dependence on the potential barrier. The potential barrier is due to the difference in the Fermi energy of the p and n-type semiconductor.

Zz.

Ok,bt when pn junction diode is formed then barrier potential is setup which can be determined practically, is thr any way to find barrier potential theoritically?

physics.cie said:
Ok,bt when pn junction diode is formed then barrier potential is setup which can be determined practically, is thr any way to find barrier potential theoritically?

Starting from where? From the calculation of the band structure for each of the semiconductor?

Why can't you just look at the different values of the Fermi energy and then... hum... just find the difference between the two? Or is this too simple to count as "theoretical"?

Zz.

Related to How to find barrier potential of pn junction diode

1. What is a barrier potential in a pn junction diode?

Barrier potential, also known as built-in potential, is the voltage difference that exists between the p and n regions of a pn junction diode when it is in equilibrium. This potential creates a barrier for the flow of majority carriers, and is a key factor in the functioning of the diode.

2. How do I calculate the barrier potential of a pn junction diode?

The barrier potential can be calculated using the following formula: VB = (kT/q) * ln(NAND/ni2), where k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, q is the electronic charge, NA and ND are the doping concentrations of the p and n regions, and ni is the intrinsic carrier concentration of the semiconductor material.

3. What factors affect the barrier potential of a pn junction diode?

The barrier potential of a pn junction diode is affected by the doping concentrations of the p and n regions, the temperature, and the type of semiconductor material used. Increasing the doping concentrations or the temperature will result in a decrease in barrier potential, while using a different semiconductor material can also change the barrier potential.

4. How does the barrier potential affect the behavior of a pn junction diode?

The barrier potential is a crucial factor in the functioning of a pn junction diode. It creates a barrier for the flow of majority carriers, allowing the diode to act as a one-way valve for electric current. When a forward bias is applied, the barrier potential decreases, allowing current to flow through the diode. Conversely, when a reverse bias is applied, the barrier potential increases, preventing current from flowing.

5. Can the barrier potential of a pn junction diode be changed?

Yes, the barrier potential of a pn junction diode can be changed by altering the doping concentrations of the p and n regions, or by changing the temperature. Additionally, using a different semiconductor material can also change the barrier potential. However, the barrier potential cannot be completely eliminated, as it is a fundamental property of a pn junction diode.