How to find any naked-eye object

• Thread starter eZipSky
  • Start date
In summary, finding any naked-eye object involves choosing a clear, dark location away from light pollution, using a star chart to locate the desired object, and using the appropriate equipment such as binoculars or a telescope. It is important to have patience and allow your eyes to adjust to the darkness, and to take note of any notable landmarks or constellations to aid in locating the object. With proper preparation and technique, it is possible to easily find and observe various celestial objects with the naked eye.
eZipSky
Hi all,

We just started a free naked-eye astronomy search engine at http://ezipsky.com" . The way it works is that you can enter your zip code and an object in the night sky (e.g. 'mars') to get instructions for where to look to find it in the night sky from your location (if the object is currently visible), calculated in real time.

The really cool thing is that you can also use it for free with cell phone text messaging, by texting 'ezipsky <your zip code> <object>' to 368266 (DOTCOM). The SkyEngine supports pretty much everything we can think of: the planets, constellations, the brightest 150 stars, the brightest 120 satellites, the International Space Station, the hubble, and other stuff.

The sky engine is in beta right now, so any feedback from astronomers would be greatly appreciated (especially for objects we're missing!)

Thanks!

-Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Interesting. I'll test it out tonight. Assuming its a clear night and light pollution doesn't ruin it (as it usually does).

I tried my zip code + "satellite" hoping to get a list of which of the 120 brightest satellites I could see tonight, but it did not work. It told me to type "help satellite" but the help page was for a more general topic.

Do I need to type in the satellite name or designation? It would be nice if I didn't.

tony873004 said:
I tried my zip code + "satellite" hoping to get a list of which of the 120 brightest satellites I could see tonight, but it did not work. It told me to type "help satellite" but the help page was for a more general topic.

Do I need to type in the satellite name or designation? It would be nice if I didn't.

The "help satellite" command was broken, but is now fixed. Our help page is out of date and will be updated by this evening, tomorrow at the latest. I just tested the service with my zipcode + satellite, and it returned to me the next visible satellite:
Next OAO 3 (COPERNICUS) (NORAD 06153) visibility is tonight. Look for it at 21:05 rising due W. Reaches max elevation 43 deg above horizon due S at 21:13. Follow until it enters Earth's shadow at 21:18, 9 deg above horizon due ESE.

For specific satellites, yes you need the individual name or norad number. I believe many of the major satellites will be added to a keyword list in the help topic tonight.

So this is only for people in USA? Disappointing.

Most countries charge for their postal database (to map zip/postal codes into Lat/Long) but there are lots of skymap programs/ websites / screensavers that will work from either a city or your lat/long.

Related to How to find any naked-eye object

1. How can I find the location of a specific constellation in the night sky?

To find the location of a specific constellation, you can use a star chart or a mobile app that shows the current positions of constellations in the sky. Alternatively, you can also use a sky map and locate the constellation by following the patterns of its stars.

2. What is the best time to view planets in the night sky?

The best time to view planets in the night sky varies depending on their position in their respective orbits. Generally, they are most visible during the early morning or evening hours when the sky is dark and the planets are above the horizon. However, some planets may be visible throughout the night depending on their position in the sky.

3. How can I locate a specific star in the night sky?

To locate a specific star in the night sky, you can use a star chart or a mobile app that allows you to search for specific stars. You can also use the constellations as a guide and follow the patterns of the stars to find the one you are looking for.

4. What is the best way to find a comet in the night sky?

The best way to find a comet in the night sky is to use a star chart or a mobile app that shows the current positions of comets. You can also look for information on upcoming comets and their expected locations in the sky.

5. How can I locate a specific deep-sky object in the night sky?

To locate a specific deep-sky object, such as a galaxy or nebula, you can use a star chart or a mobile app that shows the locations of these objects. You can also use a telescope to view these objects in more detail, and the star chart or app can help you locate them in the sky.