Need Help With this Physics Problem (Please)

• Thread starter jpnnngtn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the problem is about a supersonic jet traveling at Mach 3 at an altitude of 20,000 m and the time it takes for the ground observer to encounter the shockwave. The plane will be 60,000 feet horizontally from the observer when the shockwave is heard. The Pythagorean theorem is used to find the distance between the observer and the jet. The problem is listed under the Doppler Effect but it is not relevant to the solution.
jpnnngtn
This is the problem, anyone who can help me, please respond.

A supersonic jet traveling at Mach 3 (means that the speed of the jet is three times faster than the speed of sound in air) at an altitude of 20,000 m is directly overhead at t(time) = 0. How long will it be before the ground observer encounters the shockwave? Where will the plane be when it is finally heard? (Assume that the speed of sound in air is uniform at 345 m/s)

This problem is listed under the Doppler Effect in my textbook

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks pretty easy to me. I BELIEVE that the shock wave itself moves at the speed of sound (if that's incorrect I'm sure there will be people happy to jump on me with both feet :smile:).

Since v= d/t, t= d/v: 20000 m/345 m/sec.= how many seconds?

In the time that the shockwave takes to move the 20000 feet down, the jet, at three times the speed, will have moved three times as far, 60000 feet, horizontally. To find the straight-line distance between the person who hears the shock wave and the jet, use the Pythagorean theorem.

(I don't see how "Doppler Effect" has anything to do with it.)

you're right. Thank you. You have been most helpful. I think I was just confused because the problem was listed under the group of "Doppler Effect" problems.

Question 1: What should I do if I am struggling with a physics problem?

First, try to break down the problem and identify the key concepts and equations involved. Then, review any relevant lecture notes or textbook material. If you are still stuck, consider reaching out to your classmates, professor, or a tutor for additional help.

Question 2: How long should I spend on a physics problem?

The time it takes to solve a physics problem can vary, but it is generally recommended to spend no more than 10-15 minutes on a single problem. If you find yourself spending significantly more time, it may be helpful to take a break and come back to the problem later.

Question 3: Can I use a calculator for physics problems?

Yes, calculators are allowed for most physics problems. However, it is important to make sure you are using the correct formula and entering the appropriate units into the calculator for an accurate answer.

Question 4: How can I check my answer for a physics problem?

One way to check your answer is to use a different method or formula to solve the problem. Another option is to compare your answer to a known solution, if available. It is also helpful to double-check your calculations and units to ensure they are correct.

Question 5: Is it okay to ask for help with a physics problem?

Yes, asking for help is an important part of the learning process. It is always better to seek assistance and gain a better understanding of the material, rather than struggling and potentially getting a lower grade. Just be sure to properly credit any outside help you receive.