How to Factor 4x^4-x^2-18: Step-by-Step Solution and Tips

• Thread starter mindauggas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary, a quadratic trinomial can be factored by finding two numbers that multiply to get the last term and add to get the middle term. These numbers are then used to expand the middle term, which can then be factored by grouping into two binomial factors. This method is a more efficient and organized approach to factoring compared to the traditional guess-and-check method.
mindauggas
Hello,

Homework Statement

Factor: 4x[itex]^{4}[/itex]-x[itex]^{2}[/itex]-18

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved a similar problem x[itex]^{4}[/itex]-6x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+9 by equating x[itex]^{2}[/itex] to t and then reverse-FOIL'ing... this one just wouldn't give in...
Completing the square also does not help to get the answer (presuming of course that the answer is correct, which I wouldn't dare not to do before consulting in this forum)...

I have the answear: (x^2+2)(2x-3)(2x+3), so I need your help on the reasoning process guys.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Replace x2 by t as you did before and complete the square. Then factorize further if it is possible.

ehild

There's also another method for factoring a quadratic in the form ax2 + bx + c. Let u = x2 so that we now have 4u2 - u - 18.

1. Calculate a*c, which is -72 for this problem.
  2. Find two factors of -72 that add up to -1.
    For this problem, 8 and -9 are factors of -72, and they add to -1.
  3. Rewrite the quadratic with the middle term expanded using the factors found in step 2.
    4u2 - u - 18 = 4u2 + 8u - 9u - 18.
  4. Factor by grouping to get the two binomial factors.
    4u2 + 8u - 9u - 18 = 4u(u + 2) - 9(u + 2) = (4u - 9)(u + 2).

Don't forget to undo the substitution...

Thank you

Can't you directly complete the square & then factor ?

[tex] 4x^4 - x^2 - 18 = \left(2x^2 -\frac{1}{4}\right)^2 - \left(\frac{17}{4}\right)^2 = (2x^2 + 4)(2x^2 - 4.5) [/tex]

dextercioby said:
Can't you directly complete the square & then factor ?

[tex] 4x^4 - x^2 - 18 = \left(2x^2 -\frac{1}{4}\right)^2 - \left(\frac{17}{4}\right)^2 = (2x^2 + 4)(2x^2 - 4.5) [/tex]

Or [tex](x^2+2)(4x^2-9)=(x^2+2)(2x+3)(2x-3)[/tex]

ehild

Mark44 said:
  1. Calculate a*c, which is -72 for this problem.
  2. Find two factors of -72 that add up to -1.
    For this problem, 8 and -9 are factors of -72, and they add to -1.
  3. Rewrite the quadratic with the middle term expanded using the factors found in step 2.
    4u2 - u - 18 = 4u2 + 8u - 9u - 18.
  4. Factor by grouping to get the two binomial factors.
    4u2 + 8u - 9u - 18 = 4u(u + 2) - 9(u + 2) = (4u - 9)(u + 2).
This is a great method in factoring quadratic trinomials. I first learned of it in reading Lial's http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educator/product/Introductory-Algebra/9780321557131.page" book. It's interesting that when I learned factoring in school we were taught to just guess-and-check. I now teach this method to my freshmen Algebra I classes, even though their books use the guess-and-check method.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How to Factor 4x^4-x^2-18: Step-by-Step Solution and Tips

1. What is the first step in factoring 4x^4-x^2-18?

The first step in factoring 4x^4-x^2-18 is to identify the greatest common factor (GCF) of all the terms. In this case, the GCF is 1, so we can move on to the next step.

2. How do I factor a polynomial with four terms?

To factor a polynomial with four terms, also known as a quadratic trinomial, we can use the grouping method. First, factor out the GCF of the first two terms and the last two terms separately. Then, check if there are any common factors between the resulting binomials. If so, factor them out to get the final factored form.

3. What is the difference of squares formula and how is it used to factor 4x^4-x^2-18?

The difference of squares formula is (a^2 - b^2) = (a + b)(a - b). In this case, we can see that 4x^4 is a perfect square (2x^2)^2 and -18 is also a perfect square (3)^2. So, we can rewrite the polynomial as (2x^2)^2 - (3)^2, which can be factored using the difference of squares formula to get (2x^2 + 3)(2x^2 - 3).

4. Can I use the quadratic formula to factor 4x^4-x^2-18?

No, the quadratic formula is used to solve quadratic equations, not to factor polynomials. It is only applicable when the polynomial is in the form of ax^2 + bx + c, and in this case, the polynomial is in the form of ax^4 + bx^2 + c.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when factoring 4x^4-x^2-18?

Yes, in this case, we need to be aware of the difference of squares and the fact that the polynomial has four terms. We also need to make sure to check for any common factors and use the grouping method if necessary. It's always important to thoroughly check and simplify the factored form to ensure it is correct.