How to factor (2x^2 + ax - 2a - 8)?

• Thread starter needingtoknow
  • Start date
In summary, factoring is the process of breaking down a mathematical expression into smaller parts or factors. It is important because it allows us to simplify complex expressions, solve equations more easily, and identify common factors in polynomials. The general method for factoring a quadratic expression is to find two numbers that multiply to give the constant term and add up to give the coefficient of the middle term. When factoring a quadratic expression with a leading coefficient of 2, the "ac method" can be used. You can check your factoring by expanding the factors and comparing it to the original expression.
needingtoknow

Homework Statement

How to factor (2x^2 + ax - 2a - 8)?

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought process:

So normally for questions like this, I would sort the main variable x out. So x^2 and then the middle term would be (_____)*x but in this case I can't do that. How do I start to factor this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind got it!

Great! So what did you get?

Related to How to factor (2x^2 + ax - 2a - 8)?

What is factoring?

Factoring is the process of breaking down a mathematical expression into smaller parts or factors. It is the opposite of multiplication.

Why is factoring important?

Factoring allows us to simplify complex expressions and solve equations more easily. It is also useful in finding the roots of quadratic equations and identifying common factors in polynomials.

What is the general method for factoring a quadratic expression?

The general method for factoring a quadratic expression is to find two numbers that multiply to give the constant term, and add up to give the coefficient of the middle term. These numbers will then be used as the factors of the quadratic expression.

How do I factor a quadratic expression with a leading coefficient of 2?

When factoring a quadratic expression with a leading coefficient of 2, you can use the "ac method". First, find two numbers that multiply to give the constant term (2 in this case) and add up to give the coefficient of the middle term (a in this case). Then, rewrite the quadratic expression as 2x^2 + (these two numbers)x - 2a - 8. You can then factor this expression using the general method mentioned above.

Can I check my factoring by expanding the factors?

Yes, you can always check your factoring by expanding the factors and simplifying the expression. If the expanded expression is the same as the original expression, then the factoring is correct.