How to extract files from setup?

• Thread starter heartless
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
In summary, the conversation discussed the process of extracting data and installation files from setup files, specifically the ones found on download.com. It was mentioned that these are usually compressed self-extracting files and not all of them are the same. Winzip can open some of them and show the contents, but for others, the specific utility that was used to create them is needed. Most programs today use "InstallShield" to extract files to a temp folder before running the installer. In order to access all the extracted files, it is suggested to use a file tracking program. However, it was noted that ignoring the installshield section of the installer could make the installation process more difficult, similar to a Linux installation.
heartless
Yo everyone,
I'd liike to know how to extract data/installation files from "setups" one sees whenever one tries to install an application. For example, when you download files from download.com, they're in packed installation file, just one single file usually name.exe, you open it, then extract, and then install though you don't see extracted files, and is there anyway to extract the files from such setup?

Some of the files are extraced to ~/Local Settings/temp, but not all of them,

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
These are usually compressed self extracting files.
They are not all the same.

Winzip can open some of them and show the contents or sometimes say what was used to create them.
Most often you wil require the specific utility that was used to create them in order to see the contents.

Most programs today use something called "InstallShield." This program basically usually extracts everything to a temp folder then runs the installer. If you want to get all the files that it extracts you must get a file tracking program that records the history of every file creation/modification/run history. After you run the installshield and it asks you where you want to install the files. Minimize the window and go to your tracker and zip everything up.

And there you have it.

I don't know WHY you would want to ignore the installshield section of the installer. That would basically turn installing programs into a linux install and you don't want to know how painfull that is.

Keep the installshield

Related to How to extract files from setup?

1. How do I extract files from a setup?

To extract files from a setup, you can use a file extraction tool such as WinRAR, 7-Zip, or WinZip. These programs allow you to open and extract files from setup files.

2. Can I extract specific files from a setup?

Yes, most file extraction tools allow you to select which files you want to extract from a setup. This can be useful if you only need certain files from the setup.

3. Do I need special software to extract files from a setup?

Yes, you will need a file extraction tool to extract files from a setup. These tools are readily available for download online and are usually free to use.

4. What is the difference between extracting and installing a setup?

Extracting a setup means to open and access the files within the setup file. Installing a setup means to run the setup file and have the files automatically installed on your computer.

5. Can I extract files from a setup on any operating system?

Most file extraction tools are available for multiple operating systems, so you should be able to extract files from a setup on any operating system. However, some setups may be specific to certain operating systems and may not work on others.