How to Express Vectors of a Regular Hexagon in Terms of Given Components?

In summary, ABCDEF is a regular hexagon with $\vec{b}=\overrightarrow{BC}$ and $2\vec{a}=\overrightarrow{FC}$. The vectors $\overrightarrow{AB}, \overrightarrow{CD},$ and $\overrightarrow{EC}$ can be expressed in terms of $\vec{a}$ and $\vec{b}$ as $\vec{a}, \vec{b}-\vec{a}$, and $2\vec{a}-\vec{b}$ respectively. The notation $\underline{b}$ is used to represent $\vec{b}$ and it is not necessary to express $\vec{a}$ and $\vec{b}$ using their coordinates.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
ABCDEF is a regular hexagon with $\vec {BC}$ represents $\underline {b}$ and $\vec {FC}$ represents 2$\underline {a}$. Express, vector
$\vec {AB}$, $\vec {CD}$ and $\vec {EC}$ in terms of $\underline {a}$ and $\underline {b}$.

Before I start, I want to ask if we need to redefined $\underline {b}$ and 2$\underline {a}$? I mean, let $\underline {b}$ as

$$\begin{pmatrix} m \\0 \end{pmatrix}$$.

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You don't have to express $\underline{a}$ and $\underline{b}$ using their coordinates, though it's possible to get the answer that way as well. Suppose $\underline{a}=(k,l)$ and $\underline{b}=(m,0)$ and you express, say, $\vec{AB}$ using k, l and m. The difficulty is that you need express $\vec{AB}$ as a combination of specifically $(k,l)$ and $(m,0)$, not just as some expression of k, l and m.

It is clear that $\vec{EC}=\vec{FB}=\vec{FC}-\vec{BC}=2\underline{a}-\underline{b}$. To get a geometric intuition about the regular hexagon you can also look at this page.

Hello, anemone!

I don't understand the notation $\underline{b}$.
If $\underline{b}$ represents $\overrightarrow{BC}$, isn't $b$ also a vector?

$ABCDEF\text{ is a regular hexagon with }\vec{b} = \overrightarrow {BC}\text{ and }2\vec{a} = \overrightarrow{FC} $

$\text{Express vectors }\overrightarrow{AB},\;\overrightarrow{CD},\; \overrightarrow{EC}\text{ in terms of }\vec{a}\text{ and }\vec{b}.$

Code:
          A       B
         / \     / \
        /   \   /   \ b
       /  a  \ /  a  \
    F * - - - * - - - * C
       \     / \     /
        \   /   \   /
         \ /     \ /
          E       D

$\overrightarrow{AB} \:=\:\vec{a}$

$\overrightarrow{CD} \:=\:\vec{b} - \vec{a}$

$\overrightarrow{EC} \:=\:2\vec{a} - \vec{b}$

Evgeny.Makarov said:
You don't have to express $\underline{a}$ and $\underline{b}$ using their coordinates, though it's possible to get the answer that way as well. Suppose $\underline{a}=(k,l)$ and $\underline{b}=(m,0)$ and you express, say, $\vec{AB}$ using k, l and m. The difficulty is that you need express $\vec{AB}$ as a combination of specifically $(k,l)$ and $(m,0)$, not just as some expression of k, l and m.

It is clear that $\vec{EC}=\vec{FB}=\vec{FC}-\vec{BC}=2\underline{a}-\underline{b}$. To get a geometric intuition about the regular hexagon you can also look at this page.

Got it. Thanks, Evgeny.Makarov.
Maybe I'm just trying too hard...and not knowing that I'm actually trying to complicate the simple problem.

---------- Post added at 06:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 AM ----------

soroban said:

I don't understand the notation $\underline{b}$.
If $\underline{b}$ represents $\overrightarrow{BC}$, isn't $b$ also a vector?

I had the same reaction as you when I first read the problem!
Anyway, thanks, Soroban.
Now I fully understand with the help of the diagram and it really is as simple as that.:)

Hello,

Thank you for your question. In this context, it is not necessary to redefine $\underline {b}$ and 2$\underline {a}$. The notation $\underline {b}$ represents a vector in the direction of $\vec {BC}$ and 2$\underline {a}$ represents a vector in the direction of $\vec {FC}$ with twice the magnitude of $\underline {a}$. Therefore, we can express the vectors $\vec {AB}$, $\vec {CD}$, and $\vec {EC}$ as follows:

$$\vec {AB} = \underline {b} - \underline {a}$$
$$\vec {CD} = 2\underline {a}$$
$$\vec {EC} = \underline {b} + \underline {a}$$

I hope this helps clarify the notation and express the vectors in terms of $\underline {a}$ and $\underline {b}$. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Related to How to Express Vectors of a Regular Hexagon in Terms of Given Components?

1. What is a vector of regular hexagon?

A vector of regular hexagon is a mathematical representation of the direction and magnitude of the six sides of a regular hexagon. It is often used in geometry and physics to describe the movement or position of an object in relation to the hexagon.

2. How is a vector of regular hexagon calculated?

To calculate a vector of regular hexagon, you can use the formula V = 2a + b, where V is the vector, a is the length of one side of the hexagon, and b is the distance from the center of the hexagon to one of its vertices. This formula will give you the direction and magnitude of the vector.

3. Can a vector of regular hexagon have a negative value?

Yes, a vector of regular hexagon can have a negative value. This indicates that the direction of the vector is opposite to the direction of the positive value. For example, a vector with a magnitude of 3 and a direction of 180 degrees would have a negative value of -3.

4. How is a vector of regular hexagon used in real life?

A vector of regular hexagon is used in many real-life applications, such as navigation systems, robotics, and computer graphics. It helps to describe the movement and position of objects in a precise and mathematical way, making it a valuable tool for engineers and scientists.

5. Can a vector of regular hexagon be represented in three dimensions?

Yes, a vector of regular hexagon can be represented in three dimensions. In this case, the vector would have three components (x, y, and z) to represent the movement or position of an object in relation to the hexagon in three-dimensional space.