How to expand the average <(N - <N>)^2>

• Thread starter mitch_1211
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Average
In summary: N-<N>)2>.In summary, the conversation was about expanding the expression <(N - <N>)^2> and simplifying it using the average notation. The result of simplifying the expression was <N^2> - <N>^2, which is equivalent to the variance of N. There was also a mention of simplifying <N>^2 into <N> + <N^2>, but there may be an error in this equation.
mitch_1211
Basically I would like to know how to expand:

[itex]\left\langle[/itex](N - [itex]\left\langle[/itex] N [itex]\right\rangle[/itex])2[itex]\right\rangle[/itex]

<(N - <N>)^2>

Where < and > represent [itex]\left\rangle\right\langle[/itex] and denote the average of the quantity the enclose.

So this is pretty much the average of [N - N(average)] 2

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Well first expand the square, and the average of three terms you'll get is the sum of their averages.

And note that the average of a constant is the same constant.

So by expanding i get:

<N2-2N<N> - <N>2>

and you're saying this is equivalent to:

<N2> - <2N<N>> - <<N>2>

is that right?

mitch_1211 said:
So by expanding i get:

<N2-2N<N> - <N>2>

and you're saying this is equivalent to:

<N2> - <2N<N>> - <<N>2>

is that right?

Yes except the last term should be positive.

You can simplify <2N<N>> and <<N>2> and combine them to get a nice, short result.

mfb said:
You can simplify <2N<N>> and <<N>2> and combine them to get a nice, short result.

Yea I figured that, I simplified

<N2> - 2N<N> + <N>2

into

<N2> - 2<N>2 + <N>2

so I get

<N2> - <N>2

Also I know that <N>2 = <N> + <N>2

Is there a simple way of showing that without resulting to a probability with sums of exponentials etc?

mitch_1211 said:
Also I know that <N>2 = <N> + <N>2
I think that equation has an error.

Your expression is simply the variance: <N2> - <N>2 = Var(N)

Related to How to expand the average <(N - <N>)^2>

What is the average of (N - )^2 and how do you expand it?

The average of (N - )^2 is calculated by finding the sum of all the values in the set, then dividing by the number of values. To expand it, we use the FOIL method, which stands for First, Outer, Inner, Last.

Can you provide an example of expanding (N - )^2?

Let's say we have the set {1, 3, 5}. The average of (N - )^2 would be (1-2)^2 + (3-2)^2 + (5-2)^2 = 1 + 1 + 9 = 11. To expand, we can use FOIL: (N - )^2 = N^2 - 2N + ^2 = N^2 - 2N + ^2.

Why is expanding (N - )^2 important in science?

Expanding (N - )^2 allows us to better understand the variability in a set of data. It helps us see the individual differences between values and how they contribute to the overall average. This is important in many fields of science, such as statistics and data analysis.

What are the limitations of expanding (N - )^2?

One limitation is that it only gives us a measure of variability within a set of data, but it does not tell us about the relationship between variables. It also assumes that the data is normally distributed, which may not always be the case.

Are there any alternative methods for expanding (N - )^2?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating variability in a set of data, such as calculating the range, standard deviation, or variance. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, so it is important to choose the appropriate method for the type of data and research question at hand.