How to Expand cx(x-l) into a Fourier Series?

In summary, the conversation revolves around expanding the function cx(x-l) to a Fourier series transform, specifically \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}a_{n}e^{-\alpha_{n} x}. There is a confusion regarding the dependence of the exponential term on $n$, and it is clarified that $\alpha$ is a constant. The transformation is then written out in terms of a Fourier series.
Another1
I have a function \(\displaystyle cx(x-l)\) where c is constant

I want to expansion this function \(\displaystyle cx(x-l)\) to \(\displaystyle \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}a_{n}e^{-\alpha x}\)

how can i do it? you have a idea

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is there perhaps a typo in the summand? The exponential does not seem to depend on $n$ and it is not clear to me what $\alpha$ is.

Janssens said:
Is there perhaps a typo in the summand? The exponential does not seem to depend on $n$ and it is not clear to me what $\alpha$ is.

\(\displaystyle cx(x-l)\) to \(\displaystyle \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}a_{n}e^{-\alpha_{n} x}\) $\alpha$ is constant any constant

Another said:
\(\displaystyle cx(x-l)\) to \(\displaystyle \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}a_{n}e^{-\alpha_{n} x}\) $\alpha$ is constant any constant

That looks like a Fourier series transform.

We have:
$$cx(x-1) = c\left(\frac{\pi^2}3 + (-2-i)e^{-ix} - (2-i)e^{ix} + ...\right)$$

Related to How to Expand cx(x-l) into a Fourier Series?

1. What is the purpose of expanding a function?

Expanding a function allows for a clearer understanding of its behavior and relationships with other functions. It can also help with simplifying complex expressions and solving equations.

2. How do I know when to expand a function?

You may need to expand a function when it is in a more complex form, such as a polynomial or trigonometric expression. It can also be helpful when solving equations involving multiple variables or terms.

3. What are the steps for expanding a function?

The steps for expanding a function depend on the type of function and its form. Generally, it involves using algebraic techniques such as the distributive property, combining like terms, and factoring. It may also involve using identities for trigonometric functions.

4. Can I expand any function?

Not all functions can be expanded, as it depends on the form of the function. For example, logarithmic and exponential functions cannot be expanded using algebraic techniques. However, they may have other properties that can be used for simplification.

5. Are there any shortcuts for expanding functions?

Some functions have specific properties or identities that can be used to simplify or expand them. For example, the binomial theorem can be used to expand binomial expressions, and the double angle formulas can be used to expand trigonometric expressions. It is important to familiarize yourself with these shortcuts for efficient expansion.