How to Evaluate Integrals Involving Bessel Functions and Exponential Terms?

In summary, a Bessel function with e^(x^2) is a special mathematical function used to solve differential equations in physics and engineering. It is named after mathematician Friedrich Bessel and can be calculated using a series expansion or an integral representation. These functions have various applications in physics and engineering, including solving heat diffusion equations and analyzing oscillations and waves. They also have important properties and have been used in real-world examples such as studying vibrating systems and heat transfer.
ibw
I am doing a research degree in optical fields and ended up with the following integral in my math model. can you suggest any method to evaluate this integral please. Thanks in advance

∫(j(x) *e^(ax^2+ibx^2) dx

J --> zero order bessel function
i--. complex
a & b --> constants

Physics news on Phys.org
If the limits are from 0 to infinity it can be easily evaluated using Webers double integral.
for other limits I don't think a close form exists.
Check: Watson: A treatise on the theory of Bessel functions
for more details

Related to How to Evaluate Integrals Involving Bessel Functions and Exponential Terms?

1. What is a Bessel function with e^(x^2)?

A Bessel function with e^(x^2) is a special mathematical function that is used to solve differential equations in physics and engineering. It is named after the mathematician Friedrich Bessel, who first studied these functions in the 19th century.

2. How is a Bessel function with e^(x^2) calculated?

The Bessel function with e^(x^2) is calculated using a series expansion or an integral representation. The exact method used depends on the specific form of the function and the desired level of precision.

3. What are the applications of Bessel functions with e^(x^2)?

Bessel functions with e^(x^2) have a wide range of applications in physics and engineering. They are used in the solutions of heat diffusion equations, electromagnetic fields, and quantum mechanics problems. They also arise in problems involving oscillations and waves.

4. What are the properties of Bessel functions with e^(x^2)?

Bessel functions with e^(x^2) have several important properties, including orthogonality, recurrence relations, and asymptotic behavior. They are also related to other special functions, such as the gamma function and the modified Bessel function.

5. Are there any real-world examples of Bessel functions with e^(x^2)?

Yes, Bessel functions with e^(x^2) are used in various real-world applications. For example, they are used in the analysis of vibrating systems, such as musical instruments and bridges. They are also used in the study of heat transfer and diffusion in materials.