How to evaluate avg speed at which a driver approaches curve

In summary: However, I think it is worth investigating methods for fitting curves to data that includes hyperspace jumps.Hyperspace jumps?
klau
There is a 2D array of x and y positions of a vehicle measured at an interval of one second, e.g.:
x y
1, 5
1, 6
1.5, 6.8

I need to somehow quantify how a given driver approaches curves (i.e. driving style - does he/she drives aggressively or not). For this, I divided the problem into two sub-problems:

Step 1: Define curves by estimating angles
Step 2: Estimate the speed change or acceleration at these curves.

I am not sure that my approach is the best one. I would appreciate a link to some online resource where similar problem is discussed. I also appreciate any idea of how to evaluate a driving style at curves. Finally, I don't know how to perform Step 1, so any help is welcome.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If your data points are dense enough, you can calculate velocity, acceleration and jerk (change of acceleration) all as differences between two adjacent values each. There are better approaches, but if you don't need them you can save work.
"driving style" and "aggressively or not" will need some mathematical representation to get evaluated.

Likes klau
@mfb: Thank you. Could you please provide some links or guidelines related to better approaches? The problem is that the data contains some hyperspace jumps. Also, I appreciate a lot you can share some ideas of how to quantitatively evaluate "driving style".

Hyperspace jumps?

I think I would have to look at some actual data to say more.
Curve fitting is the general way you could do better than calculating differences, but then you need some models for the curves (e.g. something like that).

mfb said:
Hyperspace jumps?

I think I would have to look at some actual data to say more.
Curve fitting is the general way you could do better than calculating differences, but then you need some models for the curves (e.g. something like that).

Example of a hyperspace jump (measures are made at an interval of 1 second):
-580, 250
-600, 259
-1200,397 (here we have a jump of around 600 meters per second)

I suppose that my data is too complicated to be fitted with some analytical model, it contains multiple curves. Maybe it might be a good idea to smooth the data. I am, however, afraid that some important information like jerk can be lost after smoothing...

Meters per second or meters?
A jump looks like a very rapid change in position (and speed?). Just find and ignore them.

mfb said:
Meters per second or meters?
A jump looks like a very rapid change in position (and speed?). Just find and ignore them.

Meters per second. Well, yes, currently I just find and clean these jumps. However, it would be interesting to know more details about the things you have mentioned in your first post (advanced math methods). Could you please give more details?

See my second post.
It is hard to get more specific without more details of your problem.

Related to How to evaluate avg speed at which a driver approaches curve

1. How is average speed at which a driver approaches a curve calculated?

The average speed at which a driver approaches a curve can be calculated by dividing the total distance traveled on the curve by the total time it takes to travel that distance. This can be done using a speedometer and a stopwatch or by using GPS data.

2. What factors can affect the average speed at which a driver approaches a curve?

There are several factors that can affect the average speed at which a driver approaches a curve, including the sharpness of the curve, road conditions, weather conditions, and the driver's skill and experience. Other factors such as vehicle type, weight, and tire pressure can also play a role.

3. Why is it important to evaluate the average speed at which a driver approaches a curve?

Evaluating the average speed at which a driver approaches a curve is important for highway safety and accident prevention. It can help identify areas where drivers may need to slow down or where road conditions may need to be improved. It can also help drivers become more aware of their speed and make adjustments to ensure safe driving.

4. What are some methods for measuring the average speed at which a driver approaches a curve?

As mentioned before, the average speed at which a driver approaches a curve can be measured using a speedometer and a stopwatch or by using GPS data. Another method is using a radar gun to measure the speed of passing vehicles. Additionally, some cars have built-in technology that can track and report average speeds.

5. Are there any safety standards or guidelines for evaluating the average speed at which a driver approaches a curve?

There are no specific safety standards or guidelines for evaluating the average speed at which a driver approaches a curve. However, there are recommended speed limits for curves based on their sharpness and other factors. It is important for drivers to follow these speed limits and adjust their speed accordingly to ensure safe driving.