How to enable hidden folders in Windows 7?

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem with installing Java and the steps to fix it, including enabling hidden folders in Windows 7 and switching to Administrator mode. It was also mentioned that enabling hidden folders may cause icons on the desktop to become translucent, but this can be fixed by hiding the folders again.
yungman
I have problem installing Java, it gave me:

Installer: Wrapper.CreateFile failed with error 5:Access is denied.

I went online and find this instruction:

1. uninstaller the java
2. enable the hided folder.
3. please find this folder and delete it==>C:\Users\"PC-name"\AppData\LocalLow\Sun

As the name, I went to C:\Users\"PC-name", I don't see \AppData\LocalLow\Sun. How to enable the hided folders in Window 7. How do I know whether I am in the Administrator mode or user mode?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Hidden files have an option to turn on seeing them.

In Windows explorer
-> organize
-> folder and search option
--> view hidden files (radio button to push to turn on an other to turn off)

In the box above select Apply to all folders

Click the Apply button - there you go.

Likes 1 person
jim mcnamara said:
Hidden files have an option to turn on seeing them.

In Windows explorer
-> organize
-> folder and search option
--> view hidden files (radio button to push to turn on an other to turn off)

In the box above select Apply to all folders

Click the Apply button - there you go.

Thanks, it worked and I delete the SUN folder as per instruction. I managed to install the Java without error message.

But I notice some of my icons on the desktop become translucent! I go to the properties of the folder, it is read only and hidden. I took off both and the folder looks normal now. Is this the way to fix it? Why they become like this?

Thanks

By default Windows allows you to run programs and perform tasks in a least-privileged state. What Microsoft calls as a 'Protected Administrator'. From there you can elevate yourself to an 'Elevated Administrator' status. You can self elevate by right clicking an icon and select 'Run as administrator'.

Anytime you enable the option to make hidden files visible, the hidden files/folders will become translucent. You should now be able to hide the hidden folders again with no issues.

Start -> Search: show hidden files and folders -> Select: 'Don't show hidden files, folders, ect'.

Likes 1 person

I am not an expert in computer software and troubleshooting, but I can offer some guidance based on my understanding of the issue.

Firstly, to enable hidden folders in Windows 7, you can follow these steps:

1. Open File Explorer and click on the "Organize" button at the top left corner.
2. Select "Folder and search options" from the drop-down menu.
3. In the Folder Options window, click on the "View" tab.
4. Under the "Hidden files and folders" section, select the option to "Show hidden files, folders, and drives."
5. Click "Apply" and then "OK" to save the changes.

Now, to address the issue with your Java installation, it seems that the error message is indicating a problem with file permissions. This could be due to not having sufficient privileges as a user, or the file may be in use or locked by another program.

To resolve this, you can try running the Java installer as an administrator. Right-click on the installer and select "Run as administrator." This will give the installer the necessary permissions to make changes to your system.

If this does not work, you may need to check your user account settings to ensure you have administrative privileges. You can do this by going to the Control Panel and selecting "User Accounts." If your account is not listed as an administrator, you can change the settings to give yourself administrative rights.

In terms of finding the hidden folder for Java, it is possible that it may not be present on your system. This could be due to a previous unsuccessful installation or a different version of Java being installed. You can try searching for the folder by typing "Sun" in the search bar in File Explorer.

In summary, to enable hidden folders in Windows 7, you can follow the steps outlined above. To resolve the issue with Java installation, try running the installer as an administrator and ensure you have administrative privileges on your user account. If the hidden folder for Java is not present, you may need to troubleshoot further or seek assistance from a computer technician.

Related to How to enable hidden folders in Windows 7?

1. How do I access hidden folders in Windows 7?

In order to access hidden folders in Windows 7, you must first enable the option to show hidden files and folders. This can be done by opening the File Explorer, clicking on the "View" tab, and then checking the box next to "Hidden items" in the "Show/hide" section.

2. Where can I find the option to show hidden folders in Windows 7?

The option to show hidden folders in Windows 7 can be found in the File Explorer, under the "View" tab. It is located in the "Show/hide" section and is labeled as "Hidden items".

3. How do I enable hidden folders in Windows 7 through the Command Prompt?

To enable hidden folders in Windows 7 using the Command Prompt, you can use the "attrib" command. Simply open the Command Prompt and type in "attrib +h [path to folder]" to make the folder hidden. To make the folder visible again, use the command "attrib -h [path to folder]".

4. Can I set specific folders to always be hidden in Windows 7?

Yes, you can set specific folders to always be hidden in Windows 7. This can be done by right-clicking on the folder and selecting "Properties". Then, under the "General" tab, check the box next to "Hidden" in the "Attributes" section. This will make the folder hidden and it will remain hidden until you uncheck the box.

5. How can I make hidden folders visible again in Windows 7?

To make hidden folders visible again in Windows 7, you can either go back to the "View" tab in File Explorer and uncheck the box next to "Hidden items", or you can use the Command Prompt and use the command "attrib -h [path to folder]". This will make the folder visible again.